Will we see a new iSight?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lmcintyre, Jun 3, 2007.

1. lmcintyre macrumors regular

With all the emphasis on iChat and "the whole package" with photo booth in leopard, do you think we will see a new iSight at WWDC? Does anyone even know why apple axed them in the first place?

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Sorry, I don't think so mate. The new Apple cinema displays will probably have an iSight built-in. I think we'll see them after the WWDC.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think too, considering you get native support for $40 VGA or better cameras like the XBox USB one, and only Minis and MP's come without a built-in camera, Apple really just doesn't need to sell the iSight anymore. The major redeeming feature of the external iSight over most cameras is that it has an adjustable auto-focus. Which is nice, although note how Apple got rid of it when they integrated the iSight.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think Apple could do something cool, like a wireless camera...it would be nice if that could also work with AppleTV, so you could conference using iChat, from your TV and your computer...

Maybe I'm just a dreamer...

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Agreed. The USB camera market is very competative and not much margin. To bring out a nice form factor Network or/& WiFi (G/N?) camera would be present a new market for them. Good entry level cameras cost a few hundred new - and quickly go up in price for extra features/specs.

A network camera could be used with a new AE or AppleTV as a iChat camera, as well as being a tool to get Macs into remote viewing (babies, animals, security, kids playing, business security) and even home security (a big future market).

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

A Bluetooth version of the iSight would be sweet...

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The AppleTV doesn't have bluetooth, does it?

WiFi would be even sweeter :)

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Yeah, an iSight with Wifi that could be a security camera too! So you could detect it via an IP address. That goes with the previous rumors of Leopard bonding with the household.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I think there was a thread about someone who hacked their AppleTV and found out it had bluetooth in it. But the most I expect for the iSight is integration into the ACDs and perhaps a resolution bump, not much more, maybe some more effects in PhotoBooth.