Will we see a new Mac Mini (Haswell) in October?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dinfos, Sep 3, 2014.

1. dinfos, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

dinfos macrumors newbie

Here's why I am getting my hopes up.

According to Wikipedia the current Mac Minis use the following Ivy Bridge processors:
    i5-3210M, i7-3615QM, i7-3720QM

The i5 was released on 3 June 2012, the i7 (both) on 23 April 2012. So it took Apple 6 months to release an upgrade with these processors.

Also, look at the price. The Ivy Bridge i5 list price is $225, the i7 is $378 (Apple surely pays less). Why would Apple use a more expensive model and reduce their margins? If anything they would use a cheaper processor.

The equivalent Haswell processors on price, cores, CPU and TDP are:
    i5-4210M ($225), i7-4710MQ ($378), i7-4810MQ ($378).

All of these processors were released in 2014, with the i5 and lower i7 released in April. 6 months after April is... October.

So will it have Iris graphics? Probably not. Could they wait until 2015 for Broadwell? Maybe. But based on this data I'm waiting/hoping for an October refresh. And secretly hoping for a silent refresh next week.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If I had to guess (and that's all anyone is doing) I would say at this point they aren't going to re-tool for Haswell with Broadwell around the corner....next Mini will be next year with Broadwell chips.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Getting your hopes up being the operative phrase. I think you are reading too much into it. Intel are still producing Ivy Bridge CPUs in volume.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Unlikely. I wrote a thread about this a while ago. You can check it out here if you want.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747139

The idea behind my argument is that Apple uses the same components in the Minis as the MBP. The benchmarks on the Haswell processors were disappointing, but they did increase battery life. Nobody cares about that for a desktop. They will most likely wait until Broadwell processors, and they will not be released before the notebook lineup is updated. It is a low priority product, and the R&D costs do not justify an upgrade to Haswell. I could be wrong, but that is what makes sense to me.

Matt

5. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

IMO Apple has redesigned the Mini in a new form factor for Broadwell and was expecting ,before Intel delay, to release a mid 2014 Mini along with a IMac.

So I agree that after MacBooks are up date, the Mini will be released.

6. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

dinfos, interesting thread but credibility shot by quoting Wiki as a component info source :rolleyes:

If Broadwell is available in early 2015 then Apple will wait and update the Mini then/mid-year. If not there is a slim chance they do an update this year

7. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I think you think too much.

8. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking we won't see another mac mini especially given the length of time involved. If we do see something it's likely to include so many redesigned features which will take it far away from the expandable little desktop we are used to that it won't even be called mac mini. Thinness and smallness are likely, as with most things Apple, going to play a major part. As always I would love to be proven wrong but I just think they can't be bothered.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ Will we see a new Mac Mini (Haswell) in October? ]]

Folks were asking the exact same question LAST September.

And nothing showed up.

I doubt there's going to be any change THIS October.

When Broadwell appears, that's when a change is gonna come.
    If there's going to be one, at all...

10. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

... in other words with soldered RAM. :(

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes. On the 9th of September :apple: will introduce a new mac mini lineup.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

13. dinfos thread starter macrumors newbie

I sure do.

14. apfelmann macrumors 6502

the predictions for Sep 9th are all wrong:

NEW MAC MINI - that's all that will be announced

15. blanka macrumors 68000

And the shocking thing will be that ALL Macs will be replaced by it. One-mac-product suits all.

16. apfelmann macrumors 6502

True, but it won't go on sale until early 2015. Until then: no macs at all available to buy. Prices for used Macs will sky rocket!!!