Will we see a refresh to the line anytime soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Oct 21, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My friend wants to get a MBP and i was about to tell him to go ahead seeing as Arrandale...the most likely candidate for upcoming MBP isn't due till next year

However i wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter before giving the final word

So what do you guys think, is it possible we'll see a refresh between now and Jan 10?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At best a very minimal and quiet bump to the 13". I'm hoping for a matte option.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

January/February at the earliest. But, I am one that believes that the 13" might be on a different cycle then the 15"/17" - still no updates for the year.

And were you really progressing backwards?

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

The original unedited post made it sound like i was. So there's a general consensus that we won't see anything this year then?

5. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

how many of these threads do we need each day?

6. keitherson macrumors member

I would wait until December. Apple is definitely not going to make any refreshes in December. If it happens, it will happen in November. Apple is going to wait for Arrandale, but I personally believe that the current MBP Core 2 Duo (Penryn) chips will get a bump in speed, otherwise the new plastic unibody white MacBook will eat off the 13" MBP sales.

So expect a refresh for the MBP line similar to what happened to the 21" iMacs.

7. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same position as your friend's, and I really can't decide whether to go ahead and just grab the current 15-in MBP or not, seeing I'm not really sure if it'll satisfy all* my needs.

• * = Most importantly: HD (1080p mkv's files) playback. My great concern is that I want a laptop to playback 1080p mkv files flawlessly.
    • * = Web surfing: Forums, YouTube, blogs.. etc.
    • * = Photo (Photoshop) and sometimes video editing. Just not professionally.
    • * = I'd like to have a laptop which is a gaming-capable-laptop. Granted, I don't game a lot, but I'd like to have a laptop which is capable of handling games for when I want.
    • * = Music?
    • * = MSN and Skype.

I never owned a Mac and I'm really not entirely in a rush, as I have a working PC.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

About the same as, "Upgrading Hard Drive - Which one should I get?"

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

refresh

I dont think there will be a major refresh until next year however they did recently drop prices, atleast thats what i read if they do update i think they may add a new screen size in the 14 inch area to compete with dell and sony. just my take

10. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'm looking at buying a MBP 17" around May/June 2010. A good chance there will be a refresh by then? I know he's asking about January.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It might have some trouble with Skype, everythingelse will be a breeze.[/sarcasm]

12. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Uh, oh well. Thank you for the heads up..

13. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

14. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

15. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I say most likely February, with an outside chance in mid-late January

16. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

It sounds like your usage has determined what you should get. The white MacBook is a no brainer for you, the only difference between it and the MBP is the case, SD slot IR port & FW800 which seem to not be a necessity for you

17. ADAADW macrumors member

Update sooner than later?

If you look the new macbook's hard drive is now 250 as uppose to the 13 in macbook pros 160gb drive, definitely a quiet refresh in nov or jan. just my 2 cents.

18. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Just wait, end of January is when I think Apple is going to drop the news. Only 3 more months.

19. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I can definitely wait until next year (and I will since I'm broke until June '10!!).

20. Ammo macrumors regular

I kind of want to speculate on the specs of the new Pros whenever they arrive.

I could see for the 13 inch line...

2.8 Core 2 Duo and Ion2 4GB RAM (all do) 320 GB HD
    3.06 Core 2 Duo and Ion2

15"
    3.06 Core 2 Duo and Ion2
    Arrandale and whatever discrete card there is

17" gets arrandale and discrete card

That would continue Apple's "integrated graphics trend" like they did this past gen, gives the 13" a significant spec boost.

21. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni