Will we see an upgrade for the MacBook Pro within the next few months?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleNewYork, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. AppleNewYork macrumors member

    Mar 28, 2009
    Im going to be buying a MacBook Pro during the Back-to-School Promotion. Will we see an upgrade? i dont know if I should buy now....
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    We don't know if the Penryns in the MacBook family, iMac, and Mac Mini will be updated at all, so it is doubtful that an update will happen.
  3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Jul 20, 2008
    About two months from now or so we'll see some Penryns being updated. Not all though, so we may not see some Mac updates.
  4. philips macrumors regular


    Oct 14, 2004
    Baden-Württemberg, Germany
    I do not follow tech news this days so I can't give you informative advise. No major breakthroughs I'm aware of are going to happen in coming months.

    All I can say that waiting for possible upgrades is silly. Some people are in to it (especially those who keen comparing Macs vs. PC) but generally as notebooks goes, brand has more bearing than innards. CPUs are far too fast for what most people use them now. GPUs on notebooks ... well make sure you have GPU and dedicated GRAM, not shared. RAM ... some applications can eat lots of it, but generally, I hardly ever see my MBP use more than 1GB despite my MBP17 having 4GB.

    Essentially, with MBPs you are covered well for most of the task. Just keep cool and do not buy into the cheap race for bleeding edge. Even if upgrade happens next month, that would be only few percent improvement - not more - and that's it.
  5. AppleNewYork thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 28, 2009
  6. boshii macrumors 68040


    Jul 6, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    lmao...did you buy?
  7. Batman101 macrumors member

    May 9, 2009
    waiting for a blu-ray upgrade and possibly USB3 is not pointless or silly.
  8. REs0ndf7 macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2009

    This post is sorrow's textual incarnate. Really though with any piece of technology, but especially with Apple, you have to buy a product with the full knowledge that in some all-too-soon future, from the heavens will descend a glowing, shimmering visage with some vague resemblance to the pile of compacted trash you purchased for the same price. Then someone you know intimately will unconsciously strain their relationship with you by putting their Ferrari next to your sick, aging donkey so they can fully appreciate the exponential leap in technology in "such a short time." Perhaps with this knowledge the pain can be dulled, perhaps not. My sympathies, your grief is warranted despite the meek rationalizations of these forum members.
  9. Joshua Fan macrumors newbie

    Joshua Fan

    Apr 23, 2008
    What may be worth waiting a few months for would be the Snow Leopard release. Other than that processors are due for a major upgrade at the end of this year / beginning of next year.
  10. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Oct 19, 2008
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure if it's a sign of impending upgrades or simply a sign of the current financial "crisis", but two of the local chain stores here in New Zealand have been offering discounts on Apple computers recently, which rarely happens and usually coincides with upgrade stories on MacRumors and AppleInsider.

    Noel Leemings had an "up to 20% off" sale last weekend. Dick Smith is currently offering NZ$100 off the MacBook Pro 13" (and maybe other models, but I haven't checked) and saying they have "limited stock" at most of their branches.
  11. CalMin macrumors 6502a


    Nov 8, 2007
    May be. If you need it now, just buy it. If you don't, then wait. Just don't think you will have the latest thing for long. Time marches on and computers get better. Get what you need and enjoy it. Life is too short.

Share This Page