Will we see more Smart Connector charging solutions?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Brookzy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The Logi Base is welcome, but looks a bit cumbersome and is too expensive for my liking.

But judging by the keyboards on offer, third parties seem reluctant to use the Smart Connector, and we have no Smart Connector-based chargers from Apple.

After launching the iPhone 6 without an official Lightning Dock, Apple surprised us with one out of the blue in the summer of 2015.

And after launching the Apple Watch without one, Apple surprised us with a charging dock of their own at the start of this year.

Do you think we'll similarly see an official Apple Smart Connector charging dock eventually?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

To answer the first question: yes. I'm sure we will. No-one wanted to create something that would only work for one device when they couldn't re-use the tech in something similar, I would put money on there being new smart connector devices by WWDC, hopefully including charging solutions!

As to the Apple version: I'm not sure there. From the reports I understand that the iPad pro charges slower via the smart connector than the 12W charger - too many people are complaining about the provided charger bring underpowered for me to see this as likely right now. Of course, if it could use the 29W speeds I'm sure people would pole vault for them.

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Part of me thinks Apple really ought to have made one by now, but I can see their hesitation: from a user perfective one would see a USB cable (i.e. coming from the Smart Connector dock) and expect to be able to sync with iTunes with it. The fact it is (at least at present) power-only might be holding them back.

If it could do 29W that would be amazing! I wonder if the slow charging on the Logi Base is because of Logitech, or because of the Smart Connector.