Will we see more widgets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acronym, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

I was messing about on iOS 5 GM and the thought popped into my head, seeing as apple has implented two widgets into the notifications app, do you think this will open up for other developers like facebook or twitter to also create widgets for iOS5?

I had a JB 3GS with widgets on there, and I don't really see the point in having them, but I can also understand why people would want them as well.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I have mixed feelings about the usefulness of widgets, but recognize others see them as an important asset.

The weather one is kind of neat, but it'd be more useful if available from the lock screen. By the time I go into notification center with the swipe down I can almost as easily open up the Weather Channel app

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm sure there will be in time.

Even if it isn't an official "widget", I can see some developers getting creative and coding a "notification" that updates as if it is a widget.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Technically speaking, Siri on iPhone 4S comprises of widgets. As to whether some of these will be migrate to notification center, probably not. Some, such as alarm, calendar, and reminders, cloud be useful. But aside from alarm, they are all represented in more space conscious text-based counterpart.

5. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

as opposed to starting a brand new tread I'll pose the question here.

Would you like to see more widgets in the notification center, or lockscreen?

A) Yes, I like the idea of widgets
    B) I do not care either way
    C) No, I tihnk widgets are a waste

also if you provide an answer what are some widgets you'd like to see and where would you like to see them?