Will we See new Thinner Flash Based MBP next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iD4V3, Oct 20, 2010.

1. iD4V3 macrumors member

iD4V3

After the announcement of the new flash based MBA, will the MBP follow suit? they would obviously keep the optical drive, but the Mac App store will probably take over at somepoint.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would think so. Maybe even SSD + HD + SuperDrive combo. Anyway, this MBA update was very promising

3. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I woud thinks so, or atleast to a certain extent.

How often does the MBP get updated?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually every 7-10 months. My guess is early 2011

5. TJones macrumors regular

I think it'll be an option but I think they still want to target the MBP line as a professional workstation on the go.

6. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I find it hard because it is relatively expensive. Apple barely had any option on MBA, regarding that. I think Apple will keep the HDDs on the MBPs.

What I can see, however, is the removal of the ODD. With Mac Store and the OS X installable via Flash Drive (it's on the MBA page), the uses of the ODD will be reduced immensly!! That'd allow space for a dedicated graphics, more battery... possibly an alternative solution to Sandy Bridge on the MBP 13''!

7. iD4V3 thread starter macrumors member

iD4V3

I can see it being a Flash/HDD combo,

the flash will be used for the OS creating the instant on etc, Programs on HDD but i could be wrong.

8. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Thats not too bad, I guess I could wait that long, April would be too much though. I'm guessing the next releases of all forms of Mac's including todays release of Air would be made to deal with Lion.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

No, because flash is slow.

Then users have to pay for that Flash memory + a proper SSD drive if they want real speed? That will make a MBP very costly.

10. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I hope not. I need at least 500gb's on my mbp at all times, though I don't use it all, I still like knowing it's there. I can't imagine living day to day with only 64gb's

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can't see the MBP getting any thinner and still being called a pro machine.

12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I would say no, there would be to much overlap in the 13" range with three different models (MB, MBP, MBA). I think MB/P will continue to have larger hard drives, SSD, and optical drives just for differentiation.