Will we see the iPad mini 5 at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macbook14in, May 15, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

I hope the new iPad mini will have:
    - 4 speakers
    - thinner bezels
    - lighter weight
    - 5MP FaceTime camera
    - faster TouchID

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

No. Way too early for a Mini 5, and I thought the WWDC is usually more about software/OS releases. Have they ever debuted an iPad at one? There's no reason to expect this.

3. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

No chance. And the only reason it might not be the end of 2017 is because the standard iPad got Pencil support this year, which was certainly not intended at the time of the original Pro's release. Now there is a chance for the Mini, but otherwise a new model this year is not scheduled and would be completely pointless (geddit?).

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Doubtful we will see one at WWDC, but possibly in the fall. I wouldn't expect big changes though. Likely the same design with an A9 processor and maybe some (but likely not all) of the features in the new 9.7" Pro.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

There is no chance we will see a new iPad, Mini or otherwise, at WWDC. The iPads are typically released in the Spring and if there is going to be a iPad Mini 5 it will probably launch next year in the spring.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, iPads have also been released in the fall. The mini, specifically, have all been released in the fall. Now with the Pro 9.7 being released in the spring, who knows what Apple will do next. But I agree that Apple doesn't typically release new iOS devices at the WWDC, so it's highly unlikely that a new mini will be announced then.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

No iPads at this event, would bet the house on it.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I did say typically. I'm aware there have been a few exceptions but I don't see new ones being released the rest of this year. In my opinion next year Spring will be the earliest.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I wouldn't call it a few exceptions. iPads 1-3 and 9.7 Pro were released in the Spring. iPads 4, Air, Air2, all minis and 12.9 Pro were released in the Fall. So at this point, more iPads have been released in the Fall than in the Spring.

I wouldn't be surprised if no iPads were released until next Spring, but I wouldn't be surprised either if there was an iPad update this Fall.