Will we see the new Mail in SL?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JarredWagner, Jul 17, 2011.

1. JarredWagner macrumors member

JarredWagner

Love the new Mail in Lion, it's a huge improvement. But Mission Control sucks and totally messes with my workflow, which makes heavy use of Expose & Spaces.

I would be totally satisfied staying with Snow Leopard, if I hadn't tried the new Mail, which I know have to have! It's much better than the SL alternatives Postbox and Sparrow.

Do you think there is any chance the updated Mail will be made available for SL?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There is absolutely zero chance of that. The new mail is a selling point for Lion, why would Apple give it out for free to SL users?

3. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

+1

Your alternative is to try Thunderbird, which is pretty solid, but the new Mail is awesome, so I'd only ever install Thunderbird on Windows and Linux boxes.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I disagree. While Thunderbird is great, it is a power user Mail client. It's for people who need meticulous control over their mail.

The OP sounds like he enjoys the consumer features of Mail.app in Lion. Even though it strips out some previous useful, but obscure features, it has a nice consumer friendly interface.

I don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place but Sparrow is an interesting OS X application. It has a very similar interface to Lion's mail. I've heard many swear by it, but I've never used it so I can't give my endorsement. I would do a little research if I were you before buying it, but it's worth checking out I'm sure.

5. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Well the OP had already stated he'd prefer Mail over Sparrow and Postbox; I was just offering an alternative that I knew was good.

And yes, as a power user it is a powerful program, but I also think it's pretty simple to use :)

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to agree with that.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ha! That must be exactly why I didn't suggest them in my first post in the thread and then I forgot about that the second time I posted. Silly me. :D