Will WiFi only iPad cases work with 3G iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by maf2k8, Apr 13, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so today as i was returning my WiFi only iPad ( and pre-ordered my 3G online ) i looked at the screen shots of the 3G and noticed the black top ( as opposed to the all aluminum WiFi only models ) and i am guessing this is a antenna/radio or whatever that black plastic portion is at the top, can that be blocked off? because all the cases out at the moment ( well most anyways ) will block that black top portion of the iPad.

I am not sure what it is, but look at your TV remote controller, same deal on most of them, it has that black plastic window at the top and once covered it doesnt really work to well.

I really liked my overpriced incase book jacket but returned it along with the wifi because i was thinking about this and if this would in fact be an issue....

Attached Files:

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It'll work.... on your TV remote, it's where infrared is - on the iPad it's where the 3G sensor is which can go through walls, etc. It's the same concern as cases for the iPhone. Aluminum might interfere so that's why the plastic patch - but a case is fine.

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhhh......Ok makes sense now! Was just wondering about that..

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yep, that black strip just there so you have a better 3G reception (and maybe WiFi) because the aluminium back can interrupt your 3G connection.

A case, like Apple's one, will work fine. 3G signals can go through walls and stuff, why wouldn't it go through some thin case? ;P

5. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Eh? The real reason is because a metal casing around an object acts like a Faraday cage and greatly diminishes all electromagnetic waves passing through the casing. Hence they put the plastic piece with antenna there to get past the Faraday cage they created with their aluminum backing.

However, the iPad cases are all made of plastic or some other such material. Plastic/leather/etc does not block electromagnetic waves and will have no noticeable effect on the wireless signal.