Will Win 10 work on a mid 2010 iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rotorheadbob, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Rotorheadbob macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2010 27" iMac with an i7 processor and 8 GB RAM. I know the official word from Apple is no, but can or should I install Windows 10 on it? I use Boot Camp for the launch method. My primary use for Windows 10 is to run a flight simulator for RC Helicopters called Real Flight.

Thanks!

2. craig1024 macrumors regular

Yes but you can't install through boot camp, you should be able to use the Windows 8 drivers

3. GSApple macrumors newbie

yep agreed. although you can use bootcamp via a dvd build on a MBP (mines early 2011 13" i7). it is possible to do a usb build too, but flapping insanity follows soon after. i just used the dvd bootcamp, unticked use apple updates etc and when the win 10 build was done i just used the 5.11 drivers as mentioned prior. although im struggling to get external monitor use and the top row keys, ie brightness etc. im just wondering if the issues with not being able to use external monitors would impact an imac, thinking not given your not using thuderbolt etc, im not sure what internal circuitry the monitor uses.

4. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

You can install Windows 10 and still get Boot Camp support using the Windows 8.1 drivers here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=en_US I use the same drivers on my 2011 model iMac and they work just fine in Windows 10 despite not officially supporting it. This should be the same for your iMac as these drivers do support the 27" 2010 iMac. Updated drivers for graphics card etc. will probably download from Windows update anyway.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, Boot Camp Control Panel does work as does the ability to restart to Mac OS X from the task bar icon.