Will Win 7 64 bit work with Bootcamp or do I need to use 32 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WizardHunt, Aug 25, 2010.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I want to install bootcamp with using Win 7 but I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Am I able to use 64 bit without problem or do I need to stay with the 32 bit version?

I am using a iMac (early 2009 model) with 8 GB ram and ATI 4850 HD video 512 MB ram .

Any suggestions?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That should run 64-bit without a problem. If it gives you an error, there are several threads on here that explain how to make it work. It worked for me, and my unsupported MacBook is running 64-bit just fine :p

3. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

To answer the title question, yes. However, I have a newer mini than you.

4. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well my iMac is not a mini. So not sure if that helps me. Actually in the title it states 2 questions that goes either towards 32 bit or 64 bit. Unless your answer is I can use either.

I know my iMac is powerful enough, but just wanted to know if there were going to be any problems with using the 64 bit version as that is what I am leaning towards.

5. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

I run a 64 bit version of Windows 7 using Bootcamp and have not had any problems. As you say your hardware is up to it, so all I can add is my experience of a flawless install and subsequent use. I use Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels (using the Bootcamp partition) everyday.

6. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

ok here is an update to my situation. I did in fact install windows 7 64 bit version on my iMac which is running Snow Leopard. I used Boot Camp to get Windows on my Mac. The procedure went flawlessly. I am very happy with the results. I also installed a program called Paragon NTFS 8 that allows you to access both sides of the operating systems. I highly recommend this software if you want more flexibility when using Windows with you Mac.

Here is a screen shot of my desktop. Click Here
    If you want a super clear picture of the desktop, just download to your computer and look at it.

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I use 7 64 bit but sometimes there are difficulties getting 64 bit drivers but the situation is getting better all the time.