Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPenguin9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I just bought my iMac last october (2.8 Ghz with 4 gb of ram) and I want to try Window 7 64 bit, but will it work on my iMac?

Thanks a lot :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's same thing as vista and XP, so I can't see why not. Works fine with my PC laptop. I've heard about people with Mac using W7.

It's same hardware in Macs and PCs

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's worth noting that an unmodified DVD will not boot on a Mac (some conflict with EFI). Hopefully the next release will work but at the moment some tweaking is required.

MrPenguin9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
It's worth noting that an unmodified DVD will not boot on a Mac (some conflict with EFI). Hopefully the next release will work but at the moment some tweaking is required.

What do you mean by "an unmodified DVD will not boot on a Mac".

Thanks

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
What do you mean by "an unmodified DVD will not boot on a Mac".

Thanks

It means that the 64-bit installation DVD, burned as downloaded from Microsoft will not be bootable on your iMac and thus impossible to install in Boot Camp. It works fine in VMware Fusion though, which is how I have it installed.

There is a fix that alters the ISO to be bootable (not that the guide is specifically written for a MBP) but it never worked for me and I really wasn't ready to replace my Boot Camp Vista installation anyway so I never pursued it. YMMV.

MrPenguin9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Thanks for the info, but will the 32 bit Windows 7 work with out modifying it?

Thanks

josh88

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
It means that the 64-bit installation DVD, burned as downloaded from Microsoft will not be bootable on your iMac and thus impossible to install in Boot Camp. It works fine in VMware Fusion though, which is how I have it installed.

There is a fix that alters the ISO to be bootable (not that the guide is specifically written for a MBP) but it never worked for me and I really wasn't ready to replace my Boot Camp Vista installation anyway so I never pursued it. YMMV.

What? I have the Windows 7 64bit Beta running flawlessly on my imac 2.66ghz in bootcamp. I just downloaded the iso straight off the microsoft website and burnt it to a dvd using disk utility. No fix needed.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What? I have the Windows 7 64bit Beta running flawlessly on my imac 2.66ghz in bootcamp. I just downloaded the iso straight off the microsoft website and burnt it to a dvd using disk utility. No fix needed.

Are you sure it's not the 32 bit version? I too have the 64bit version and it doesn't install without some heavy messing around in Windows, burning it with a different program, etc, where as the 32 bit version works just fine

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
i DLed the 64-bit after reading guides on simplenet, gizmodo, etc, that mentioned nothing of this problem, but it's happened to me.... it's not bootable.

has anyone been successful in installing the 64-bit w/o modifying the iso image? does it maybe have something to do with how the iso image is being burned to dvd?

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Umm...I guess I got it easy but it worked fine with me.

Downloaded the image from Microsoft, and burnt it on a dvd. This is Windows 7 64bit btw.

I simply booted off the dvd and followed the instructions. I installed it over my previous Windows XP bootcamp made partition and it worked without any problems.

Once it ran I followed these instructions to make it possible to install the drivers from the Apple DVD. Read from the 3rd paragraph.

Internet works, sound works, trackpad works, graphic card works, etc.

Edit:

To clarify. Previously, a long time ago, I made a partition with Boot Camp for Windows XP. When I booted off the Windows 7 DVD and was installing it I simply told it to write over what that partition contained. It told me that it was going to make a folder called "Windows old" and put everything already in that partition in that folder. It then continued with the installation. Took a long time and several restarts but it worked.

kanon14

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
i DLed the 64-bit after reading guides on simplenet, gizmodo, etc, that mentioned nothing of this problem, but it's happened to me.... it's not bootable.

has anyone been successful in installing the 64-bit w/o modifying the iso image? does it maybe have something to do with how the iso image is being burned to dvd?

I installed Win7 x64 successfully without any problem. I just downloaded the ISO from Microsoft, then I burn it on a DVD using Disk Utility. I think you need to choose the right format under DU tho so that it will be a bootable dvd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.