Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you switch to Windows 7 from OS X? (boot camp/fusion/paralells/new pc)

• Yes! Windows 7 is definitely shaping up to be better than OS X.

Votes: 38 8.9%
  • No, and besides, Snow Leopard's coming out soon too.

Votes: 303 71.0%
  • I'll wait 'till the final version of Windows 7 is released before I decide

Votes: 86 20.1%

• Total voters

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I can't go back to Windows, I'm too committed, and no PC manufacturer will take care of me as a customer better than Apple has. Windows 7 looks like the os which Vista should have been, but when it was still Longhorn, that beta looked great too. We'll see how this whole thing turns out.
Actually, the first beta of Longhorn looked promising, but it ran terribly. The difference is that Windows 7 Beta 1 runs extremely well and we know for sure what features will and won't be in it. Longhorn, in its first beta release, was still clearly far too ambitious. And that's why I feel that Windows 7 will not suffer from the same issues that Vista suffered from. (That is, too much initial ambition, and a new code base that broke a lot of existing setups.)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Correct. But it won't make much of a difference. Leopard already runs fast, so the improvements in SnowLeo are just really thick icing on the cake. Vista ran horribly slow, so W7 is a huge improvement.

Other than speed, SnowLeo won't have very many new features, and that's according to Apple themselves.

Dude, don't be that naive. If you think for one minute that we (Mac users) will only get under the hood fixes in Snow Leopard you are sadly misguided. When has Apple EVER released full information about what they were doing? Yes, Snow Leopard will have many under the hood fixes and a lot of necessary trimming but there will be some MORE than subtle differences visually to the end user. Leopard could certainly use some visual fixes. The Finder could use some fine tuning as well and I'll bet it will get it.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Those last few posts made me start to think Apple's being overly ambiguous about Snow Leopard (It's coming out soon, yet no real announcement? We know of about 3 features, none of which are exciting or really new to make old users upgrade?) because they are waiting to see what Microsoft does, and then try to improve on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dock got a new upgrade and the overall look became more like Windows 7. It seems like Apple's waiting for Microsoft to make a move.

That's not a bad thing, but it does warrant some introspection by some posters here... Microsoft's not the only one "copying."

With that said, Windows 7 is on every computer I own, including my MacBook. I hardly miss OS X. In fact, the only things I miss are Adium and iChat. Everything else I find to be the same or even better on 7.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Dude, don't be that naive. If you think for one minute that we (Mac users) will only get under the hood fixes in Snow Leopard you are sadly misguided. When has Apple EVER released full information about what they were doing? Yes, Snow Leopard will have many under the hood fixes and a lot of necessary trimming but there will be some MORE than subtle differences visually to the end user. Leopard could certainly use some visual fixes. The Finder could use some fine tuning as well and I'll bet it will get it.

Woohoo! Visual FIXES and fine tuning!

Cause Leopard has a totally crappy GUI...

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
The best thing about Apple fanboys is the PASSION with which they speak. Makes for good entertainment at least. It's as if Microsoft Windows ran over their pet dog or something.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The best thing about Apple fanboys is the PASSION with which they speak. Makes for good entertainment at least. It's as if Microsoft Windows ran over their pet dog or something.

Riiiiiight! And the best thing about PC fanboys is that they stick up for Microsoft and Windows and constantly defend what Windows does best...BUT..... these same people will buy a Mac.:p

mercedes

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
switzerland

Hahaha...Yea that's right. I love my mac and I'm having the discussion " Mac Vs. PC" everyday in school. But the thing is, that mac is just better. I mean snow leopard is definitely going to be better than windows 7, no doubt.

So no, I'm never ever going to switch to windows 7.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
I'm downloading the W7 beta now.

But I do not think I will ever go back to Windows, or consider it until they ditch the stupid registry thing, all those scattered DLL files, installing and uninstalling programs (ie you can't just drag programs to the trash). I have a feeling that W7 will slow down just as much over time as all previous versions of Windows with the hard drive gradually becoming clogged up with useless files here, there and everywhere.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
After using Win 7 Beta for a week...

Boy, is it fast...and I'm not comparing it to Vista or XP but to OSX. Stability is an issue with this beta but the Office products, Visio, and Project which are my bread and butter scream under Win7. The apps load fast, they calc and save fast. Impressive.

I am still struggling with the UI after using OSX for 12 months. Not as 'thought out" as OSX. And not as intuitive as OSX BUT this is a real good OS....and I was a skeptic. I will be loading Autocad and Photoshop to continue my testing but at first blush, not bad.

chewietobbacca

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
The media center capabilities is a killer for me. I love my HTPC, and having it connect to my XBOX 360 over the network for example is amazing. That and being able to add the tuner without worrying about the software (which is often buggy and crappy) is really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.