Will Windows 7 reinstall CD work on my iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lensclare, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Lensclare macrumors member

Lensclare

Hi,

I'm want to run windows 7 on my iMac (mid 2010) OS X Yosemite. So, i've pruchased a windows 7 full version CD.

I realised when I opened it, that it's a reinstall cd and will only work on a Del PC. It won't work with drivers. So does this mean that I won't be able to use it with Yosmite's Boot Camp on my mac?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Did it come with a CD key?
    Many reinstall CDs don't have a key because they self-register/self-activate using a key in the computers BIOS.
    Since your Mac won't have this you will definitely need a key.
    It still might be the wrong installation media but without a key it doesn't matter.

3. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Yes, there is a product key code on a sticker on a flyer with instructions. Which say "once you have fully installed windows it is necessary to activate it using the product key on the CoA sticker found on the front of the flyer"

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Then you should be ok.

You can try using that CD as-is or you can go here and download the official ISO using the key you have. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

If that CD isn't already 64-bit you'll probably want to download the 64-bit ISO. When it comes to the install the same key should work.

5. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

My Cd is a 'Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 home Premium SP1 64-Bit'.

Another issue is that this is my first time I'll be using Boot camp. My internal Sata HD is still whole. I will be making a partition in my internal with bootcamp about 160GB. so, I don't want any further complications when installing windows. so do I need to download the windows 7 before or after I use my reinstall CD?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I would use Bootcamp Assistant and select the option to create a USB installer and download the Bootcamp drivers. Use a USB 2.0 drive, make sure it's partitioned as one MBR partition and formatted to FAT32. As the source disc use the CD you already have. If that goes without any problems then you know you're good to go. No need to download any other ISOs.
    Then just create your partition, install Windows 7 from the USB you just created (the Bootcamp drivers will get installed automatically if you let Bootcamp Assistant create the installer) and you're done.
    If Bootcamp Assistant won't accept your CD then you might need to download the official ISO.

7. Lensclare thread starter macrumors member

Lensclare

Ok. Shall I try and run windows from my USB first, to see if my cd works, then if it does allow Boot Camp to create a partition on my internal HD?