Will Windows 7 upgrade discs work on mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 8, 2010.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Or do we have to buy a full retail version. From what I recall, the upgrade discs won't work unless you have XP or another version of windows previously installed.

But everywhere I go, all they sell is the upgrade disc...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes but it involves a little extra step (not hard)

See this (more)

3. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    i got a dell upgrade disk for windows 7 for a dell hybrid studio, it lets me install it on my mac with no differences at all which is great then i was able to buy licence through it once installed.

point is that the upgrade disk worked perfectly so cant see a problem as it was a dell specific disk yet works perfect for me and i had no previous installs at all which im happy for, so hopefully your will work .

4. captainbeyond macrumors newbie

5. PurpleShaman macrumors member

ive been thinkin about the same thing as well. Im planning on gettin a MBP very soon and I want to put win 7 on it. I have a student upgrade win7 ultimate in my hands right now. so, does that mean i need to get a rull version of xp installed on my mac before i can do the win7 upgrade. also, are the upgrade steps just like what the thing on sevenforums described?

6. ashenfang macrumors member

cMBP crappy battery life

Im not sure if they work or not because I used the updates from the internet.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you Google a bit, you will find methods for using the upgrade disks for a clean install. One method requires dual installs, first as a trial-demo, then upgrade from that. The other requires a simple registry edit after the first install.

You will, of course, require a valid activation code with either method.