Will WordPerfect work after an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davegaley, Nov 19, 2007.

1. davegaley macrumors newbie

davegaley

I have used a PC since 1973 and am trying to switch over to Mac.:

I like to use WordPerfect and have downloaded the last version but it does not work on OS 10.4, only on OS 9 or earlier.

I have OS 10.4 and have purchased OS 9.2 but I am concerned that if I install OS 9.2, I might screw something up.

I am seeking any advise that might be available.

Dave Galey

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The last version of WordPerfect for the Mac will run in the Classic Environment of OSX, assuming you have a PPC Mac. Classic requires 9.2. Beware of upgrading to Leopard however -- Classic support is gone.

3. stenoboy macrumors newbie

I'm running the latest version of WordPerfect in Parallels. While it doesn't look fantastic, it's still my beloved WordPerfect, and it runs very smoothly. There's a great support forum for all things WordPerfect at http://www.wpuniverse.com/ and I remember seeing a discussion about this somewhere.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Corel WordPerfect 3.5e is the last version of WordPerfect for the Mac. It uses the file format of the never-released Corel WordPerfect 4.0. The app is now available as a free download. My experience is that it is a bit flaky under MacOS 9, but is quite stable in the Classic environment. Suffice it to say, you need a PPC-based Mac running MacOS X 10.4.11 with Classic, MacOS 9.2.2, or earlier. Corel provided conversion filters that allow WordPerfect 3.5e to handle WPwin formats up to WP 8.0.

My recommendation is that you forget about it. If you have a lot of files in WP format, then you should download and install the MacOS X version of the venerable freeware Linux wordprocessor, AbiWord. It is compatible with WordPerfect and handles WP files fairly well.

6. stenoboy macrumors newbie

Does it have stream formatting like WordPerfect? That's the clincher for me.

7. NeXTLoop macrumors member

NeXTLoop

Another option would be NeoOffice. It also has the ability to open WordPerfect files.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't need OSX 10.4.11 to run Classic. Any version of OSX prior to 10.5 installed on a PPC Mac works.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Yes, I can also say that it worked for me with some old WordPerfect 6.0 docs. It WorkedPerfect. :)

I liked WordPerfect. I wish it would come back to the Mac again.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Correct. I did say "or earlier."