Will Xbox One and Xbox 360 XBL be compatible with each other?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by marddin, Aug 16, 2013.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I have looked far an wide for any information on this but have found nothing. My basic question is this...

If I buy the xbox one and COD Ghosts and my friend buys COD Ghosts for 360. Can we both play XBL together on Ghosts?

Thanks everyone!
    Martin

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Great question! I actually haven't thought of this until you mentioned it.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I don't believe activison has commented on this matter yet but my guess is that the game won't be able to bridge the generation gap. They have made it clear that if you switch consoles all your progress will go with you but I find it unlikely that 360 and PS3 players will be able to play with XB1 and PS4 players.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I unfortunately have to agree but I just dont get why they would alienate an entire xbl community and segregate them by the type of console since we are essentially still playing the same game...you know?

I'm not sure I agree with separate xbl communities.

What do yall think?

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Oh I definitely agree with you there and I would love to play with my clan mates that will be getting the PS4 at launch even though I won't be myself, I'm guessing it just won't happen.

IMO there could be more complicated things to it but it might come down to not wanting to give some people an advantage. They say Ghosts will run just as well on current gen (might not look AS good but otherwise no problems) however that doesn't mean there won't be small things that could affect players. For example, will the environment destruction cause lag on older tech if it's created by newer tech?

That's just an example but my main point is that there are already a lot of variables in place within a game of CoD (mostly internet speed based things) and adding an extra one for if the player is on current or next gen just seems like it would add more headaches then are necessary.

Then again, maybe we're both wrong and it'll work fine. I'm just doubtful. I feel like it would be a huge talking point for Activision if the game was running cross-generation. Given the lack of talk on the matter I have to assume this isn't the case.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Doubt it, the new consoles will support more players due to their higher specs that the older units can't match. They could artificially limit the new console games, but that would remove a big differentiator between versions and make the new consoles less appealing.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Don't think so. Battlefield 4 for XB1 will support 64 players, but I don't think that will carry over to the 360 because of hardware limitations.

8. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Intresting, sounds stupid though if they didnt.