Will XP slow down my machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Dec 12, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

If I use Windows off and on, and it gets cluttered with some adware, fragmation, ect. Will it affect my Mac OS when I'm on that?

Thanks

Josh

2. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Shouldn't. It has it's own separate partition of the hard drive.

It will only slow itself down :D

Just be sure and allocate plenty of HD space for it.

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

I'm only getting XP for a game, i'll throw a virus scan on there too to be safe. 8-10 GB is what I was gonna give it

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Look at the specs of the game.

I would give XP 5GBs of its one + the game size + 2 GBs.

It may slow down the initial booting of your machine but not by too much.

5. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, you're always so helpful.
    The game is Age of Empires, it's 2 GB's, but there are also 2 other expansions. Dunno how big they are, so, 8 GB to be safe? maybe? or 7. Hmm.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd make at least 10gb, simply so you won't be counting HD space every minute while installing things. You can always resize it later.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I just looked up an expansion pack Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties Expansion may not be the right one as I have no experience with the game in question but for specs it says 2GB minimum. So the game + 2 expansion packs + XP I would say go for about 12GB but it really depends on you free space on your computer.

As heatmiser said you can always resize later on. I did this under Tiger with Winclone. Have not done it in Leopard and there may be an easier way to do it now with live resizing of partitions in Disk utility.

8. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I had no clue the expansion back was 2 GB as well, thanks. I could have looked it up, but I assumed it would be 1 GB at most. Geez..

I have 80 GB free right now.(160 GB HD)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thats what it said on cnet.

What computer do you have BTW as the current MBs have some issues with them surrounding bootcamp and FAT32 where the drive will not appear on the bot choice menu at booting.

If you do want to go down the NTFS route bootcamp assistant will partition the drive as FAT32 and then once you are booted into windows after the install you can run the convert tool as documented in this Microsoft article. If you want to write to either partition you will need to install either Macdrive or HFSexplorer (free) to write to OSX from Windows and to do the reverse macfuse

In regards to anti-virus I would recommend AVG

10. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

It's the newer SR Macbooks. Can't I just hold option when I boot up my machine and choose which to boot?

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Your millage may vary but people are reporting that windows partition does not appear when you hold down option with the SR MB. Obviously you could just switch using the options in system preferences or even use something like BootChamp.

Just thought you should be aware of a potential problem.

Also HFSexplorer or macdrive will be needed if you want to write to the OS X partition from boot camp anyway.