Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Because if that's the case, count me out. Everyone remembers iCloud tabs right? Open a page on your phone and get right back to it on your Mac?

Well. I'm sure we all know about that.

What is it called .. synergy, or something?

apple-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Lol what happens with iCloud tabs is you try to use it. Then you wait for 5 minutes and it hasn't showed up yet.

You think, well that's bullocks and then leave. Then you come back 2 days later and your phone has that old iCloud tab on it. Which takes 7 days or so to remove itself

Bleh tabs wasn't worth time

If you wanna go back and forth, just copy and paste notes app and instantaneous. It's worth your time.

Tbh not sure if I'm going to try to use continuity because of what happened in the past. Not like it's necessary anyway.

They could've put Siri on there btw.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
iCloud Tabs work for me. Takes about ~10-15 sec. (no matter if macbook, ipad or iphone)

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Also use iCoud Tabs pretty regularly. Never had issues - but then again, given how I was using it - never really needed to check to see how instantaneous things were.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Wow, I guess I've been living under a rock. On paper it seemed like a good idea and a predecessor to continuity. I wonder why it never took off

Probably because it has never worked. At least for me. Sometimes I find tabs and realize "hey, it's true, I've been on this site last week !"

It's like iMessage, too often will I find messages that don't sync over my Mac. It has done this since the beginning, on three of my Macs so far.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
iCloud Tabs is one reason why I use Safari on my Mac and iOS devices, I can start on one and move to another, precursor to Continuty. Only time tabs get stuck for a week is if I wipe the device without closing them first.

apple-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Part of me wants to test it to see if it really takes that 15 seconds

But I seem to remember that when you want to get rid of the tabs, they stay there for quite a while.

Quite, a while.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Part of me wants to test it to see if it really takes that 15 seconds

But I seem to remember that when you want to get rid of the tabs, they stay there for quite a while.

Quite, a while.

Just deleted tabs on my iPhone, disappeared from iCloud tabs on my Mac within 5 seconds. Did the reverse, disappeared from my iCloud tabs on my phone in about 20 seconds.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
ICloud tabs has been working well for a whole now. It was sluggish for quite a while, guess they improved things over time.

I still use it all the time

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I use iCloud Tabs all the time, it works fine, although a little slow (can sometimes take up to 30 seconds to update a device's tabs).

It's a good feature, and one of the reason I'm not using Chrome.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
iCloud tabs has been working without a hitch for me. A little slow in synching but works well

apple-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
30 seconds is half a minute. By then I will have forgotten what I was doing.

Just copy the address into notes app. That's instantaneous

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Even this morning, I took a picture with my iPhone, and as we're speaking it's been 10 (Edit : 20) minutes already and it's still not showing up in my iCloud Stream. It was faster to take my iPhone and take the time to send it through email.

My iPhone is next to my computer, connected to WiFi, and it did sync all the pictures I took this week-end.

iCloud has always taken way too much time IMO. Don't get me wrong - it's a GOOD service - but I can't wait until it becomes a RELIABLE, INSTANTANEOUS service...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
30 seconds is half a minute. By then I will have forgotten what I was doing.

Just copy the address into notes app. That's instantaneous

I can't think of a time I've checked an iCloud tab in anything less than an hour.

I've always thought of it as a sort of history. A way to find something you were doing earlier in the day. It has literally never occurred to me to try and use it instantaneously.

So by those standards I've always seen it as working 100% perfectly for me.

apple-tea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
^ I surf the web in private mode at all times. So in that case I don't have a history. But mainly I tried to use iCloud tabs in the way that Apple is advertising handoff to be used. They are tabs however.

Even this morning, I took a picture with my iPhone, and as we're speaking it's been 10 (Edit : 20) minutes already and it's still not showing up in my iCloud Stream. It was faster to take my iPhone and take the time to send it through email.

My iPhone is next to my computer, connected to WiFi, and it did sync all the pictures I took this week-end.

iCloud has always taken way too much time IMO. Don't get me wrong - it's a GOOD service - but I can't wait until it becomes a RELIABLE, INSTANTANEOUS service...

Not surprised.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Because if that's the case, count me out. Everyone remembers iCloud tabs right? Open a page on your phone and get right back to it on your Mac?

Well. I'm sure we all know about that.

What is it called .. synergy, or something?

To allay your fears, iCloud tabs itself actually works in Yosemite and iOS 8.

I for one felt enormously frustrated at how piss poor it was prior to this.

To clarify, I don't the exact speed, but I have yet to see it ever inaccurately reflect what I have loaded on any given device. Its fast, and reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.