Will Yosemite murder my late 2011 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zyr123, Oct 18, 2014.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

It's not a stupid question. The average apple product gets 3 updates good meh buy a new one. So will this be the buy a new one update that kills my Mac.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

All good on my early 2011. Have you put an SSD in yours yet? That might refresh it for you....

3. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's fully upgraded ssd and 16gb of ram.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

If you are a bit concerned during the install process as it gets much hotter during setup itself just stick a desk fan on the left hand side of the mbp blowing air across from left speaker to keyboard to give the top case a hand dissipating the heat.

The extra graphical goodies on Yosemite will put a bit more burden on the gpu but it's really down to how good or bad your thermal paste job is which is a lottery.

If it idles with no apps running with the CPU 45c or under you should be fine, anything over 55c would give me cause for concern.

6. awests macrumors regular

I have about the same model as you, all is good over here on 10.10.

7. Dented macrumors 6502a

To be honest it is a slightly stupid question and I don't think your "three updates" rule works for Macs at all - iOS maybe but not macs.

I have a mid 2009 model - yes a whole two years older than yours - and it certainly hasn't been murdered by Yosemite, in fact there's no noticeable performance drop from Mavericks. And like Mavericks it's still *kinder* on the battery and a lot more feature packed than the Snow Leopard my computer shipped with. As an older Mac it doesn't get Handoff, but I still get to answer and make calls on my mbp now which is pretty cool.

8. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's borderline.

9. Dented macrumors 6502a

The coolness? Perhaps, but I like it.

10. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

No if my question was a legit question.

11. Dented macrumors 6502a

I guess. But I do think it's unfair to suggest that Macs get "murdered" by updates after 3 years. If anything Mavericks really improved the performance and efficiency of my mac when it was 4 years old - Yosemite is just refining that a bit more from what I can see.

The only OS X update I've skipped in five years is Lion, since it was a paid update and the reports were that it was pretty bloated and laggy even on new machines at the time. Lion is probably the biggest reason that Snow Leopard lasted so long. Since then Mountain Lion, Mavericks and now Yosemite have all been real improvements, and as far as I'm concerned, assuming your Mac will run them (and apple aren't shy about excluding older macs which really are past it) there's no reason not to update.

12. Snowleopard8 macrumors newbie

My 2009 MBP5,2 is still pushing strong with 10.10 OS. Actually, my MBP5,2 looks and feels much smoother and faster with Yosemite.