Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I'm thinking about adding an iAd banner in one of my free apps.

Is actually really simple and Apple has done a great job including this feature in the sdk.

But my question is:

Will you add iAd in your app even if this means that users need iOs 4 installed to use your product?

Will you put yourself out of a big slice of the App Store market to get the iAd benefits?

I think I'm gonna wait a bit... and you? what do you think?

M.

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I have at least one idea for a pretty simple app, but I think it could be useful for a lot of people. Since it requires iOS4 anyway, I'm thinking about adding iAd to it.
There is nothing to loose by taking that approach I think.

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I have at least one idea for a pretty simple app, but I think it could be useful for a lot of people. Since it requires iOS4 anyway, I'm thinking about adding iAd to it.
There is nothing to loose by taking that approach I think.

Well if your app already requires the iOs 4 is pretty different... you don't have a lot of options :) But there are many apps that don't use any of the iOs 4 features... and... the iAd is a big temptation... but I think I will wait at least 2 or 3 weeks... my app is doing pretty good in worldwide charts, I'm afraid I could lose positions if it will be an iOs 4 only app...

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I really hope people don't use this add opportunity and include ads in PAID apps.

I will download FREE apps with Ads, but not PAID ones.

The only issue I see will developers who include ads is other people ripping off there ideas and creating similar aps with no ads.
Can't say I've never seen that done. Unfortunately some people are just unethical....

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I really hope people don't use this add opportunity and include ads in PAID apps.

I will download FREE apps with Ads, but not PAID ones.

The only issue I see will developers who include ads is other people ripping off there ideas and creating similar aps with no ads.
Can't say I've never seen that done. Unfortunately some people are just unethical....

I agree, I think is fair to add banners into free apps but shouldn't be done in paid apps.

The only way to put ads in paid apps is to sell the app at a real lower price... I mean you can have an ads free 5 dollars version and a 99 cents version with ads.

I'm planning to put an iAd in my apps, but just in free ones.

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Note that it's possible to write an app that's compatible with iOS 3 and at the same time uses new features in iOS 4.

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Note that it's possible to write an app that's compatible with iOS 3 and at the same time uses new features in iOS 4.

Really? :eek:

HOW!? This is great news!

Could you explain how to do IT or post some link? this is REALLY interesting!!!

khanriazaoif

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
Free update

I'm thinking about adding an iAd banner in one of my free apps.

Is actually really simple and Apple has done a great job including this feature in the sdk.

But my question is:

Will you add iAd in your app even if this means that users need iOs 4 installed to use your product?

Will you put yourself out of a big slice of the App Store market to get the iAd benefits?

I think I'm gonna wait a bit... and you? what do you think?

M.

Remember for the first time 4.0 is free for everyone. A lot of people who did not update in the past were iPod touch owners not wanting to pay for upgrade. I think 4.0 will have a much higher adoption rate.

Theappmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Remember for the first time 4.0 is free for everyone. A lot of people who did not update in the past were iPod touch owners not wanting to pay for upgrade. I think 4.0 will have a much higher adoption rate.

Yes I agree, but I think that it will take at least one month or two before a significant amount of users will upgrade.

I don't forget that tons of iPhone and iPod users are far from being Apple geeks, and the idea of "upgrading" doesn't even exist in their mind :confused:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Really? :eek:

HOW!? This is great news!

Could you explain how to do IT or post some link? this is REALLY interesting!!!

It's fairly simple, it involves using weak linking and making sure to never call an iOS 4 API on an iOS 3 device, guarding them using globals or macros, etc... It's how this sort of thing has been done dating back to OS X 10.0

The problem is that iAd being iOS 4 only means that to use their ads, it has to be on iOS 4. To do a version that also supports iOS 3, you'd also have to include AdMob or something like that for the iOS 3 users. At that point, you might as well just use the 3rd party ads for both and save a little complexity in your code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.