Will you be buying the next generation iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nishi100, May 21, 2010.


Will you be buying the next gen iMac

  1. Yes, I will buy the next gen iMac

    27 vote(s)
  2. No, I'll skip it

    4 vote(s)
  3. I've already got a previous gen iMac

    8 vote(s)
  4. Depends on the specs

    13 vote(s)
  5. I'm not a iMac kind of person - I like MP MM MP MBP etc

    8 vote(s)
  1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 27, 2010
    I will be because I have skipped this one because of the issues and now that the iMac could be updated any time now I may as well just wait for he refresh - even though the Graphics card will be updated.

    All I want is the new iMac to have a tinge free screen and for it to be quiet

    BTW : it's my first poll
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Nope, my iMac is still fine for me and next update won't be major. All updates bring or revive some issues, so there is no proof that the update will be positive but I of course hope it will.
  3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040


    Apr 30, 2010
    Hard to commit untill we see what it is but I am in agreement that it will be a small and likely not worth the change. I will stick to my "so far perfect" C2D 21" and not push my luck! It fits on my desk perfectly and am SO glad I got the 27" monster out of my life!
  4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

    Mar 26, 2010
    And what if the next imacs have yellow tinge too? And noisy hard drives? I think it is very possible. If the next imac has a 27 inch display, then the yellow tinge issue is still very possible.

    Dont be so sure the next imacs will be problem free.
  5. G-Force macrumors 6502a

    Nov 25, 2006
    I wouldn't expect the next iMac to be problem free. As far as I know, the 24" iMac gradient issue has also never been completely solved.
  6. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 27, 2010
    I can see what you mean - it is quite hard to say right now because the iMac may get lightpeak USB 3.0 SSS boot drive etc. (not saying it will happen) or blueray and a inbuilt tv tuner.

    I'm just skipping this one because I am hoping for a bluray drive and better graphics ( and a inbuilt tv tuner)

    And if I do get the yellow tinge inwill return it until I get a good one or it'll be a MP with a dell uxxxx screen(27 inch) ( cannot remember number of the top of my head.
  7. adammjenkins macrumors member

    Dec 15, 2009
    West Virginia
    After 3 27" i5 iMacs, I opted for a refund. I love the computer, but I think I'll watch the forums for a few months after the new iMacs are released and let others be the guinea pigs for a change. (I'm tired of lugging the 27" around. ;) ). It'll be interesting to see if some of the .seemingly. widespread problems are addressed.
  8. m0nkeyb0y macrumors member


    Jun 16, 2009
    My 6-yr old Dell and 4-yr old Macbook are both on the verge of death. I want an iMac, but I want the refresh. Ideally, the refresh hits about the same time as the School deal, cause I'm not sure these will survive until fall.

    I want the refresh, cause I don't think my CFO (i.e. wife) is willing to lay out the ca$h for the 27 i5, so I'd like a 21 i5 or at least i3.
  9. rnelan7 macrumors 6502


    Nov 9, 2009
    I plan on getting one this summer. I am going refurb but if anything is leaps and bounds with this update then I will purchase it.
  10. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Mar 27, 2010
    Why wait, Just go in and ask them to do a check on an unopened iMac - that's what I did.

    I went into the Apple store then asked to check an iMac we (the genius an I) looked at three iMacs - all had the yellow tinge so I just left with my wallet intack.

    These are a few of the problems that THIS gen iMac has had:
    yellow tinge
    loud hdd
    high pitched noise
    stuck / dead pixels
    very hot at back

    If I can get an next gen iMac without all ofthose problems I will be amazed.

    BTW : I've send an email to Sj about all the problems of this iMac and about this gen iMac
  11. Christina1971 macrumors regular

    Jan 1, 2007
    I always thought that the back-to-school deal was intended to clear out stock before a refresh. The iMacs are still pretty new so I'd be surprised if there was a refresh in the next couple of weeks...but who knows? The Macbook just got a few speed bumps.
  12. diegobgr macrumors 6502

    Nov 22, 2009
    In fact, I'm waiting for them.

    I will like an i5 (Dual-Core) and a ATI 5XXX series, in the 21,5" model.
  13. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502


    Jan 12, 2010
    United Kingdom
    i wanted to get the imac when it first came out with the 27" , i was really amazed but after hearing and seeing people complaining with all the issue's i passed.

    So yea i got a macbook pro ;) i7 it rocks and it is more than enough for my needs :)
  14. ELBdelorean macrumors member

    May 18, 2010
    I just bought a 21.5" low-end iMac, and it's great for me. the 9400m to 320m isn't a big enough update to make me wait to get one.
  15. -SD- macrumors 6502

    Mar 23, 2009
    Peterborough, UK
    I personally know of three people who would have purchased 27" i7s, had there not been all these different problems. If the problems are fixed (with a GPU upgrade along the way) then Apple really will have a fantastic machine.

  16. adammjenkins macrumors member

    Dec 15, 2009
    West Virginia
    All 3 of my iMac have had the screen noise (buzzing, whistling/high pitched noise... all associated with the screen brightness). I have been fortunate that all 3 of my screens have been good to my eyes. Judging by the random threads that pop up here on macrumors, and the numerous (and very lengthy) threads on the Apple Discussion Forums regarding this screen noise, it's more common than I originally realized. I think part of the problem that it is not more widely recognized is that the noise isn't as noticeable unless the computer is running rather hot and if there isn't a lot of distraction noise. For instance, I only noticed mine was making a noise while reading alone in my room at night when everything else was pretty much quiet. I have been able to replicate the noise on all 3 machines. I am prone to bad luck... but 3 in a row with the exact same problem? (I have also tested all 3 machines at different locations to ensure it wasn't an environment problem---like dirty electricity or something). I have been told by all of the technicians that there should be no noise associated with the screen brightness. Going on this fact, all three of mine have been faulty, and call me crazy, but I don't trust misappropriated electricity. :(
  17. jw3571 macrumors regular

    May 21, 2010
    Do you think the next gen will add a number keypad to the keyboard? Also, do you think they'll come up with way to minimize the frequent battery replacements in the mouse?
  18. TristUK macrumors newbie

    May 7, 2010
    Voted Yes, I will buy the next gen iMac

    My old Windows PC tower is almost 6 years old now and I hardly touch it. Bought a cheap 400GBP Windows laptop last year but really feel the need to get something new as I'll be starting teacher training next year and I share the laptop with my girlfriend. Realistically we'll both need access to a computer.

    Plus as I will be studying next year I qualify for higher education discount so makes sense to go for it (I have I Uni acceptance letter which I understand is enough).

    I did debate whether to get a cheap new MBP from Hong Kong (as I will be passing through there in a couple of months) but I've decided that I don't really have a massive need for portability so better to get the better performance to price ratio with a new iMac. Plus it will stop the temptation of trying to work and watch TV at the same time on the laptop.

    I'm back in the UK in the middle of August so just hoping the refresh happens before then.

    Oh and a quick question, I was planning to go to the Apple store in London to pick it up. I'm thinking of the 27" version. Is it possible to carry the box around? Bearing in mind I'll have to use the Tube and overland Train? Or would it be better to order online and get it delivered?
  19. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816


    Jun 16, 2006
    Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
    I've had an Onyx Powerbook and I currently have a first generation White Macbook. I've never had a Mac desktop and I'm eagerly awaiting the refreshed iMac. My wife is pushing me to get one right now (she dug the 27 inch model) but I want to wait several weeks just to see what the refreshed iMacs have to offer.
  20. G-Force macrumors 6502a

    Nov 25, 2006
    This is normal. My 2008 24" also got very hot and that was plastic, the new one is all aluminum which acts like a giant heat sink.

    I've waited a LONG time for problems to get fixed, I've sold my 3.06 GHz iMac (8800 GS) because of the horrible screen and I hoped the issues would be resolved. The next iMac 24" had the issue and the 27" also has it in another form. I did order an i5 iMac on the day they were released, but after seeing some first reports I cancelled my order. I've waited until yesterday and decided to order an i7, I pretty much need a new machine now and I can't wait any longer. But if the screen is as bad as some showed in the yellow tinge topic, it will be returned to Apple.

    I honestly don't think the screen issue will disappear with the new iMac. Apple said it's fixed: it's not. The 24" iMac screens were also never completely fixed.
  21. Yamcha macrumors 68000

    Mar 6, 2008
    Depends on the updates, I'm hoping for new graphics card on the entry level iMacs, these 9400M's are trash :p, now I know iMacs are not meant for gaming, but you should be able to run at least some games at the native resolution, this thing can't even run old games without having to go at 1024X768 =/, even then most games lag big time..

    And the other thing that annoys me is that when you open your application stack it lags on grid mode.. =/, and I'm sure that its related to the video card, I didn't have this issue when I was running OSX on my PC...

    Anyway I will be upgrading if theres a better graphics chip, and if theres an Core i3 processor.. ITS ABOUT TIME that apple stops using Core 2 Duo's, they will be discontinued, they should have been by now, but later this year they won't be available, apple might as well switch to i3's right now.. They are much faster then Core 2 Duo's!! big time..

Share This Page