Will You Be Designing For Retina?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by splitpea, Jun 19, 2012.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Apparently standard-res images with pixel doubling look pretty cruddy on the retina display.

But doubling sizes of all images we include in our sites (quadrupling their pixel count) will have a major impact on download sizes and speeds (especially an issue if you need to also accommodate mobile devices and their limited data speeds and plans).

How do you intend to approach this?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm not sure where you're getting that. In my experience, on both my 4S and 3rd gen iPad, I see no problems with standard size web images on a Retina display.

Until greater than 30% of my traffic is coming from devices with high PPI displays, I'll not even consider changing graphic resolutions. Even then, I will have to determine whether the benefits of high res graphics outweigh the bandwidth issues.

3. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

amen.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I think for the moment as a web standard Retina is far from being a web standard, granted there are a tonne of mobile devices supporting it I can't see the point designing for it yet.

It's like the JPEG2000 debate for a few years back...

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If it comes to that, it will be as simple as using CSS to specify when to use certain elements. Ex. Only use these set of images when the user agent's screen size is THIS many pixels. I already design my stuff in 300 DPI and scale down so it's not an issue.