Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be ditching your iPad for an Arm Macbook?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • Depends (explain)

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Surprised no one has started a similar thread, so may as well!

I'll start:

Yes.

Replacing my 11" Pro (overkill for my needs) and it will accompany my 27" iMac. I have a 13" Macbook Pro which will also be sold in the process pending the purchase of the ARM macbook.

I don't do video editing, gaming, audio - however, I do mess around with a lot of files and the iPad doesn't cut it. It may eventually but I can't continue to wait for something which may or may not happen. The only reason I have the iPad 11 Pro is because I got a cracking deal on it (£350 - yes!) and I thought it would fit in my workflow but as it stands it only accompanies me around the house for entertainment purpose and I can't seem to get work done on it the way I want it to.

I guess this poll could be worded differently if we knew touchscreen Macs were coming (rumours have it but TBC). I wonder how many people would shift if that were the case since we are all custom to iPads with expensive keyboard with trackpads :eek:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I’d replace my intel MacBook with an Arm MacBook, not my iPad. I find the premise of the question a little odd because it seems to suppose that the driving factor here is the chip and not the form factor. For me, it’s the opposite: the form factor determines how I use the device and therefore which device I’d replace with an Arm MacBook.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I’d replace my intel MacBook with an Arm MacBook, not my iPad. I find the premise of the question a little odd because it seems to suppose that the driving factor here is the chip and not the form factor. For me, it’s the opposite: the form factor determines how I use the device and therefore which device I’d replace with an Arm MacBook.

I should have elaborated, the only reason why I haven't sold the iPad Pro 11" (way before the ARM announcement) is because I love the battery life on this. I should have also added that the ARM macbook *must* meet or exceed the battery life which im sure it was widely accepted it would.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I'll start:

Yes.

Replacing my 11" Pro (overkill for my needs) and it will accompany my 27" iMac. I have a 13" Macbook Pro which will also be sold in the process pending the purchase of the ARM macbook.

I don't do video editing, gaming, audio - however, I do mess around with a lot of files and the iPad doesn't cut it. It may eventually but I can't continue to wait for something which may or may not happen. The only reason I have the iPad 11 Pro is because I got a cracking deal on it (£350 - yes!) and I thought it would fit in my workflow but as it stands it only accompanies me around the house for entertainment purpose and I can't seem to get work done on it the way I want it to.

I guess this poll could be worded differently if we knew touchscreen Macs were coming (rumours have it but TBC). I wonder how many people would shift if that were the case since we are all custom to iPads with expensive keyboard with trackpads :eek:

Nope. I don’t chose the tool based on the CPU per se as most computers are capable enough to for what I need to do.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
No. lol. Apple might be overhyping the ARM and there might be some issues (as always). So, more or less, I will wait for what will happen on the next-gen of MacBook.

And also, Pawns die first. ;)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
No, but then again, I really dislike laptops, and if I had a need for a computer, I’d have an iMac and a cheaper iPad. As for now, my iPP can do everything I need it to, and I love it. I love that it’s always on, has great battery life, is super portable, versatile in that I can use it for all my computing needs, as well as using it as a tablet, etc.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

I'll start:

Yes.

An iPad with an ARM iMac makes sense, but an iPad with an ARM MacBook doesn't make much sense to me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
An iPad with an ARM iMac makes sense, but an iPad with an ARM MacBook doesn't make much sense to me.
MacBook for content creation and iPad for content consumption?

I should have elaborated, the only reason why I haven't sold the iPad Pro 11" (way before the ARM announcement) is because I love the battery life on this. I should have also added that the ARM macbook *must* meet or exceed the battery life which im sure it was widely accepted it would.
But even still, better battery life on a MacBook still doesn't make it: usable with one hand; touchscreen; work with a pencil; equipped with LTE; one pound; FaceID; perfect for an airline tray table… etc.

So my reply remains the same: I'd still keep my iPad and replace my intel MacBook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Unlikely as my preferred iPad is now a Mini -- love to see a new one at some point in the newer design/style.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I don't use Macbooks (can't justify the price for what I get) but as of now I cannot properly combine my laptop and iPad in one device because of the pencil usage. I rely on my iPad heavily when it comes to pencil usage - highlighting digital books, writing handwritten notes for said books afterwards, coloring in ProCreate. The only way for me to ditch the iPad is to have a laptop that has the same pencil support as the iPad. I know that there are Surface Pens but they are still not at the level of Apple Pencil and I know that there are Wacom tablets but they are for art and I use my Pencil mostly for handwritten notes and playing around with ideas (like drafts for visual representation for concepts at work, planning presentation layout etc).

Reactions: Geoff777

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
Am hoping the Files App will continue to be developed, but it's gone a long way to being able to use the iPad to replace a laptop. Today, for the first time, I bought a Kingston 64Gb flash stick, normal USB one side (USB A???) and USB-C on the other. Fantastic, now I can download files from PCs (no AirDrop) and drop them straight into the iPad without having to go via iMac. Brilliant!

Reactions: secretk

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have distinct use for iPad and MacBook in my life in general, both at professional and personal capacity. A change of processor will not trigger any change in my usage in the near future as far as I can think of.

Reactions: Geoff777

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
After my 2015 macbrook pro 13 bites the bullet, i can see myself just using an ipad pro as my ‘computer’ based on my use case. However, my macbook pro still runs like almost brand new after 5 years, so can imagine getting another 5 years at least out of it yet!

subsmile

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I've relied solely on an iPad Pro since the first generation. I bought the 12.9" 2018 as soon as it was released.

I adore the hardware, the Pencil and now the Magic Keyboard but progress on the software is too slow for my needs.

I have found work arounds, made compromises and pushed it as far as I possibly can but I need more. I am almost certain that I will buy an ARM 13" MBP.

External monitor support, a robust files app, a universal clipboard, system wide keyboard shortcuts, multiple audio inputs and a better browser experience for web apps. I have no doubt that these are all coming over the next 2-3 years or perhaps sooner if there is an acceleration driven by the switch to Arm but I cannot wait.

I still love the iPad and I do use it as a tablet as much as I do a 'laptop'. It excels at many things and outshines the Mac in many areas but it unfortunately can no longer be my only device. If the next iPad has some compelling hardware features then an 11" Pro, funds permitting, would make a brilliant secondary device.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is the screen detachable for when I don't want the keyboard? Is there touch support? Can I use the Apple Pencil with it?

Also--funny how this has come full circle. Years ago it was "Would you ever replace your Mac with an iPad?" Now it's "Would you consider replacing your iPad with a Mac?"

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Put the Arms chip into the iPad with triple the RAM and it will last 15 years before upgrade is needed. Talking 12GB RAM here! Especially the Mini! Yes!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.