Will you be getting iTunes Match?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bp1000, Oct 26, 2011.

?

Will you be getting iTunes match?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Still deciding

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm very excited about iTunes match, which will hopefully be with us in the next few weeks / months.

I hate storing music on my MBA, no need to put gigs of music on there wasting space on music that i may not listen to for many months. But the day you want something and it isn't there is a right pain.

The thought of being able to stream or download an album that i fancy listening to offline or stream it over wifi or possible 3g at any time on any device is very appealing!

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

after reading about this the last couple of days I have had to say no

The thing that has made me not want this is that it is download only (local sync not available), I have an iPod Touch 64GB, it would take too long to fill this with music using the download only method

Allow me to sync local music onto my device and then used iTunes match for extras I want and I will sign up when its available

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought iTunes Match allowed you to download an album to store for offline listening, alongside your other synced music.

Or stream it

Are you saying if you have iTunes match you can't sync local music? That seems crazy.

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

been reading the large thread in the news section

when you enable match on your iOS device it wipes all your music from it, the only way to get music back on is to download via the cloud

you can have match OR local syncing, not both

have a look at this thread (if you haven't seen it)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1258280&page=10

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I won't use it because I don't trust Apple with my music collection, which took many years to create.

6. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for this

I will have a read too. Shame about that, seems like an oversite if you can't locally sync. However, not such a big deal as i'm always connected even on 3G which is typically 4Mbit speeds. So it should be OK, and anything i want offline, i can download all the things i know i want to listen to for offline listening.

Still, seems like a shame you can't locally sync too.

7. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I won't because the quality is too low for my home system where I want lossless, and too high for my iPhone where I want 128kbps for space reasons.

8. ufkdo, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

ufkdo macrumors 6502

This. And 256 Kbps AAC is just not enough in quality. It should be lossless or at least VBR (average of 256 kbps would be the same in size, but more in quality).

In addition, remastered songs are a very big issue. Whilst some remasters are perfect, some are just the products of loudness war. And I'm not sure exactly which version of these songs are sold by iTunes.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I won't use it because I don't trust Apple with my music collection, which took many years to create."

The above post says it all.

_I_ wish to control my music. By "control" I mean that I will choose how it's downloaded, where it's stored, how it will be distributed among my devices, and how it will be played back.

It's the same with the rest of my data. The LAST place I would trust it to be stored and secure is "in the cloud". That "cloud" can "blow away" at any time. And -- even more foreboding -- who will _control_ the clouds above, if we give up our own control at the bequest of corporations (or a government) that woos us with the words, "trust me"?

I'll take the responsibility for such things and DO NOT TRUST (shouting very intentional) Apple or anyone else in such matters.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Itunes MATCH. Its not taking all the music off you hard drive and keeping it in the cloud. Its letting you have access to iTunes equivalant. :rolleyes:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why trade my high-quality ripped music for a lower-quality iTunes equivalent (assuming a match exists, which is not the case with much of my music)? Right now, I have an extensive collection and I don't have to give information about what music I own to Apple or anyone else. Since I'm not getting any benefit in return, what's the point?

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well thats all very nice but the chap I quoted seemed to be worried about losing his music "in the cloud". Which you obviously wont.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This isn't the first time and likely won't be the last that the libraries are deleted. I don't want my data in the hands of someone other than me who can delete it, intentionally or unintentionally.

15. ozaz macrumors 65816

No. I'm quite happy with Spotify for my Music needs at the moment.

16. alectheking, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011

alectheking macrumors 6502a

Wow, they are wiping the beta. They will never wipe it once its a public product. If your "data" one day just went "Poof!"(not gonna happen), lo and behold an exact copy is stored in your iTunes.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's proof it can be wiped. Even if they don't intentionally wipe it, it's naive to think that it can't happen, given the number of security breaches, data losses, hacks and other technology failures that have been reported. Remember Dropbox? Remember BlackBerry? If it's technology, it can fail or be compromised.
    That's assuming that you haven't suffered a data or device loss at the time the iCloud gets wiped or compromised.

The point is, data security is tenuous enough as it is, without adding more vulnerabilities such as dependency on internet access and a 3rd party hosting service. I'm sure it's likely that many may use iCloud for years to come with zero problems, but I doubt I'll be one of them. For privacy and security, I'll continue to rely on redundant backups on 4 devices, stored in separate locations.

18. brett.fish, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

brett.fish macrumors newbie

iTunes Match will be great if you know how to use it

1) You won't lose all your music. What I do, and what I recommend, is at the least you invest $70-100 in a portable USB hard drive (1-2TB), and keep all your stuff backed up on there. But all the iTunes match service does it scan your collection - if it's on iTunes you then have full access to it, if not you can upload it for future access

2) If most of you're music isn't on iTunes, it doesn't really matter. It might take you a while to upload all of the music they don't have, but once you've done that once, it's up there and you can access it from any of your iOS devices anytime - which is pretty cool. Like I said, understand the "service" (giving you access to your music from any device, anywhere), and less on the features "they have all my songs"

3) If you're music is in 320kbps, and you only want to listen to 320kbps on you're iDevices, that's fine and iTunes Match might not be for you, but you'll have to sync all of them like before. Why not enable iCloud, have all of your music accessible anywhere you are in 256kbps, and still keep your 320kbps on your local machine/drive

Look, I think for most people like me, iTunes Match is a great way to get a lot of "borrowed" music legitimized (it's a benefit for LOTS of people), and to have your music collection available to you on all of your Apple devices. Past that - it's splitting hairs

NOT TO MENTION MobileMe was $99/year, and iCloud is free - so ven if you sign up for iTunes Match you're getting a $74 discount off what you were paying just for MobileMe

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr