Will you be lining up tomorrow? (What stores have stock)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadLocator, Mar 14, 2011.

1. iPadLocator Guest

It seems like there are a lot of disparate posts about what stores are opening early. If you're planning to line up and want to help out the community,

a) let us know where you plan to go

and/or

b) bring your phone and send a tweet to @iPadLocator to update people on the available stock at the store you visit. Crawling these forums looking for info is going to be a real pain.

Also, if someone here is good with mashups, I was thinking that if we can get info about availability into a twitter feed, we can use that to live update a Google map with icons to show which stores have stock. Given Apple's reluctance, and the 3-4 week ship dates, there will probably be shortages for a while, so why not help people out?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. seanpholman macrumors regular

I plan on heading to Fashion Island or South Coast.

--Sean

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I don't understand all the cloak and dagger. Either you have stock or you don't. Either you are going to open early or not. I got the same story from two Apple stores.

I'm sorry to come across as a donkey, but it seems Apple is artificially creating a situation and only those desperate enough to go visit their altars without knowing when they open or whether they have stock will be rewarded. Maybe.

I'm there. And I'm not happy about it. :mad:

5. iPadLocator thread starter Guest

Have you checked to see if South Coast will have anything in stock?

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I don't understand why they did away with online availability checking that was present during the iPhone 3G launch. Fortunately I live two block away from an Apple store so I'll probably wait until Thursday morning and head over to see what's available.

7. foodle macrumors 6502

Occam's razor answer: they don't know.

It seems to be the case with many Apple stores that they actually don't know what Apple central command is going to ship them or when. Stuff just shows up and they sell it. Even with low demand items, they can't tell you when they'll be getting new stock.

As for the opening early thing, most stores are actually staffed at 8am or 9am for seminars and one-to-one appointments that they hold early in the morning. So I think their plan is that if they get iPads (which they don't know if they will or not) they will open early and sell them. If not, then not. It seems silly, but with the boatloads of cash Apple is making, something they're doing is right ...

8. myoldwatermill macrumors member

Why don't you just wait, until this gen becomes more common?

I mean, if you are just so unhappy with the situation, why be there?

(Not trying to be mean, genuinely curious)

Surely, you aren't feeling a sense of entitlement, that you should automatically be able to go somewhere and pick-up a best selling device that was just released.

When I was a kid- I remember the huge rush for ferbees and n64s and playstation 2s.

Why get wound up about a situation that you don't have to be in?

9. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I'll be down at the Plaza store in Kansas City, MO. Probably show up about 8 am. No idea if they have any stock. They got 3 white 32gb wifi in today. I passed on one. Looking for a black wifi 16 or 32.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Bingo.

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I'll be waiting at the Mich Ave store in Chicago tomorrow morn. The manger at the Lincoln Park store today was very nice and explained the "cloak & dagger" thing. He said that Apple Store employees are not notified of shipments as corporate is afraid of what could happen if unforeseen circumstances arise. If employees tell consumers, "yeah well have them tomorrow at X time" and then a truck breaks down or there are too few in stock then you have upset consumers, added crowd control issues, etc. Makes sense to me.

13. foodle macrumors 6502

Heh, Occam's razor wins again ...

14. alan111 macrumors regular

wont be lining up. hoping to stop by B+H in Manhattan and hope theyll have something for me in stock to pick up ASAP...

15. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

This.

16. OceanView macrumors 65816

The questions is at what time will you be getting in line?
    9? 10?

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

7:00 AM at the Apple Store at the Gateway.

18. OceanView macrumors 65816

Wow, I guess early bird's gonna get the worm.

One other question. When Apple opens up and they don't have stock, do they encourage people to stay in line till the delivery truck(s) arrive?
    If so then how long of a wait can this be?

19. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Guess I have a 50/50 chance of seeing you in line. Too bad I have a 9 meeting, the best I can do is get there at 10. Hope I'm lucky!

20. seanpholman macrumors regular

Was there today and was told to return at 9.

--Sean

21. war eagle macrumors 6502a

7:00 am at Lenox Mall in Atlanta, GA.

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

At the Apple Store at the Gateway they always get there shipments before the store opens. That's what they told me today.

23. emodrama macrumors newbie

I will be at the Union Square store in SF at 8:00ish.....hoping for a white verizon 32 gig.