Will you be running with the watch AND iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 29, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

I know that you can go for a run without your phone. Although, I'm thinking about it and I don't know if I will be doing that. I mean I've always had my phone with me at all time for the last 4 years...like all the time

There's a part of me that is afraid to miss a call or an important text message during my run.

Anyone else will be tuning with their iPhones?

2. cruzmisl macrumors regular

3. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Yea, unfortunately both will be needed during my runs. I like the GPS tracking and using Spotify.

4. Kent01 macrumors 6502

It's best to still bring your phone as it still lacks certain functionality when they are separated.

It was never really sold as a "leave your phone behind" device. It was pitched as a companion more than anything.

Since I cycle I keep my 6 Plus in my back pocket for everything and use the Watch for glances.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have been running with my iPhone since 2007. Now I have 2 watches too (Garmin 620 and :apple:Watch).:eek: If I keep adding gadgets I may need a motorized cart.:D

6. darkgremio macrumors 6502

Get spibelt, it holds your iphone and doesn't bounce around when you run. It works excellently, if you run long distances like I do you might want to put a ziplock bag over your phone, due to sweat.

I have tried armbands and I find armbands to annoying personally, since trying spibelt that I got as a promotion thing.

My wife calls it a fanny pack, which techincally it is. I tuck it underneath my shirt when I run and there's no ghosting or anything. It's quite comfortable.

You will need some type of bluetooth headphones or run the wire through your shirt

7. Snowkarver macrumors member

Yup, I use Nike+ Running and Slacker Radio, and like having the added safety of GPS and being able to make an emergency call. I gave up on armbands a while back and now swear by my Flipbelt, which keeps the phone tight against the small of my back. Jaybird BluebudsX wireless IEMs complete my setup.

It will be nice to have run controls (and hopefully music controls if/when Slacker updates their app) without having to pull the phone out, which is a bit of a pain.

That said, if/when Apple allows the Nike app to access the HR sensor, and if the upcoming Apple Beats subscription service is good and allows playlist downloads to the Watch, I could totally see going phone-less for shorter, harder training runs where GPS is irrelevant because it's the same route every time, and you're never too far from home so the ability to "call for backup" would be less important.

Bonus: Pay for a frappucino and lemon bar using Passbook or Apple Pay after run, and pile those calories right back on. :cool:

----------

Can you run the native Workout app (HR and data completeness) and Nike+ Running (coaching, leaderboards, voice feedback) at the same time?

8. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I will, because the phone makes it much more accurate, plus Runmeter app is so far superior, like light years ahead, I got the elite subscription and it's just amazing.