General Will you be updating from 7.1.2 JB eventually?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Oct 22, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I for sure will be on i6 but undecided on rMini even after the dust settles.

Maybe I should play with a stock rMini at the store on 8.1 sometime for a while and gauge it based on that

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

My iPad 4, iPhone 5, and iPhone 5s, will stay on 7.1.2 indefinitely.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It works so perfect as is not sure it's worth chancing on my pad.

4. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

My 6 will be here Monday, so I will have no choice. With that said, currently I'm still rocking my 5 on 7.0.4 jailbroken with Evasi0n and the only things I will miss are a clean home screen, springtomize, and tether (I'm on unlimited Verizon)

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Now that a new jailbreak is out, it's only a matter of time before I go ahead and update my iPad. My two 5c's have already been moved. One is on 8.0.2 and my daily driver is on 8.1.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Once the JB is officially released with Cydia, I will upgrade my 5S and Retina Mini. There's no hurry till then.

7. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I won't touch my perfectly working 5S on 7.1.2 JB. I have more than everything I need. My phone works exactly as I wish to, there is no point to ruin all this, upgrading to 8.1...

8. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I learned my lesson when I upgraded a jailbroken iOS 6 to iOS 7.

Shame on you if you fool me once, Apple. But shame on me if you fool me twice. And I won't be fooled twice :).

So, no. I won't be upgrading.

9. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I just updated to 8.1 from 7.1.2 w/ JB... The JB for 8.1 should be out any day now with the recent release of Pangu that supports 8.1

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I will future proof all my current devices.
    Updating ios apps on ios 7.0.4 is an issue and also for everything to be up to date with ios 8.
    So my ipad and ipad mini also will be getting ios 8.1 soon.

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I wish I felt confident about updating the 5 & rMini to 8. The reports are so mixed, and though my husband won't say anything against Apple so I don't know for certain what he's experienced, he's sworn at his 5 & Air more in the last month on 8 than I've heard in the last year. LOL It doesn't bode well.

Undecided, but willing to be talked into it.

12. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I'm gonna be keeping iOS 7.1.2. I learned my lesson updating from 6 to 7. Everything changes in the filenames and it takes months to learn to retheme again and get tweaks updated. I'm not gonna fix something that isn't broken

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

From a theming standpoint, yes, major iOS revisions are a nightmare. Even some of the smaller ones have file name changes that f up everything. The problem for me is, I do want the new NC widgets & functions for some of my key apps (1Password being a biggie). And I'm already hitting up against apps that are going iOS 8 only.

I'll admit to being pretty damn fretted over updating the iPhone 5. I don't feel confident in how that device will perform (and I really am not ready to shell out for the new phone.) I hate running stock phones, and it's going to take a while for all my tweaks to be updated. But my rMini iPad is brand new, and though it came with 7.1.2, I hadn't JB'd it yet. So I've had a week to get used to the ugly 7 UI, and to running without any improved or additional functionality. There's hardly anything on it in the way of apps or data, even, since I didn't restore from backup. I'm going to go ahead with updating that one now via iTunes, since I now know it'll be jailbreakable soon enough, and since I never tweak iPads as heavily anyway.

The phone...I may cave and do tonight. Since I manually back everything up multiple ways and do a clean install on that device, it takes forever, and I'll probably start that mess as soon as I've finished the iPad. But it's a good opportunity to pare down excess crap that accumulates on there, even if I did just do that when I went to 7.1.2 in August.

14. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

thats because 6 and 7 were completely different os's. 7 and 8 are pretty similar and i don't think they have the whole naming scheme messed up again.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's good to hear.
    Hope most ios 7 hacks work or require little updating from the devs.
    Would be great to have bitesms up and running again soon.
    And iGotYa.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, they've been known to do it even with the tiny in-between updates too. I can remember several during the iOS 4.x.x updates that were absolutely maddening until we figured out the new naming conventions. But I tend to agree that's it's unlikely that they changed things *too* dramatically this time around.

Even if they did, I'm more worried about function versus appearance right now, so here's to devs being able to update their tweaks quickly. As much as I hate looking at the sparkles and rainbows UI, it's the functionality that JB tweaks provide that I can't stand being without for long.

17. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

After 3 tortuous weeks on 8.0.2, thrilled to be back on 7.1.2

-tortuous as in, no:

BiteSMS,
    TetherMe,
    AskToCall,
    f.lux
    AllMail,
    Forecast

-to name a few off the top of my head.

I just got a iPhone 5 still on 7.1.2 to tide me over till Feb so I can upgrade to the 6, but only if there's a solid jailbreak by then.
    As much as I really like many of the new features of IOS 8, I'm much happier having a jailbroken device. I had never been without a jailbroken iPhone since Aug 2007, and it was brutal!

18. pat park macrumors 6502a

Once 8.1 JB is solid and Cydia and most of the tweaks I use are available.

Makes no sense to JB till these get worked out.

19. gotluck, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Unbelievable that the jb is out already. I'm not updating for now, awaiting tweak updates. Even then I am wary of any performance implications. This is my first non downgradable apple device :(. iPad Air.

20. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

lol don't take what i say as fact, I'm not a dev, but judging by how the system runs, im assuming so. i'd imagine xboxmysocks could clarify.

21. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

I'm looking forward to update soon.

there have been little annoyances on iOS 7 current jailbreaks

like when i update apps through the app store on my iPhone the loading animation on the upper left will never go away until a hard reset

and the app store updates are acting up on my iPad, like if i click update it will just take me to the app itself.

Im not much of a themr ever since iOS 7 came out.

Im downloading the 8.1 firmware for my iPad and iPhone, just waiting for a more solid and comprehensive jailbreak. And updates to the new tweaks, it will be an interesting few weeks ahead

22. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Well the update from 7.0.x to 7.1.x I would say is more similar than from iOS 7 to iOS 8 and it messed up bytafonts (I still can't apply the one I really want...) and it messed up some aspects of winter board theming that no one on 7.1.2 that I know of has a solution for...

I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle. The little things are important. You'd be surprised about the naming scheme, I bet stuff was changed. And I'm sure that the class names for tweak design were all changed too.

----------

Yeah like the changes between 7.0.x and 7.1.x. Drives me nuts.