Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Netr@nger

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

kulimer said:
will you buy 8GB iphone4 for $99? is that enough storage for your next 2 years??

I am tempted since it is $100 cheaper. But seems like 8GB will be out of the loop next, since the 4GB is already eliminated.

It wasnt that long ago when it took a whole building to hold 8gb of data. What a truely magic world we live in.

klo-mac

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I think he was referring to the 16GB iPhone 4S.

Personally even the 32GB iPhone 4 isn't enough for me and I'm looking forward to getting the 64GB iPhone 4S.

just curious why its not enough, i own 32GB and i think 8GB or 16GB is enough...

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
just curious why its not enough, i own 32GB and i think 8GB or 16GB is enough...

It just depends what you have on your phone. Some people like having their whole music library with them at all times which I think is crazy. Some people like having lots of apps. 8GB to me is not enough at all. Why lock yourself into a 2year contract for a 8GB iPhone 4 when you can just drop another $100 to get double the storage and a better phone?

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I have had my iPhone 4 8GB for nearly a month now.

Using it in conjunction with:
- an iPad 2 (16GB)
- a MacBook, work's so I shouldn't really be using this as my media hub and looking forward to iCloud really finishing itself off (320GB)
- iTunes Match and iCloud

I have a couple of playlists always downloaded on the iPhone, several apps including Instacast, which I bought yesterday.

iBooks are synced with my iPhone, no magazine apps are on there as my iPad is more than enough for that and Navigon 2 with NY and VT maps is installed. So is Garageband, which I could really take off as I don't need it on my iPhone and as long as it can't put projects in iCloud, it's a little useless.

Most of my listening on my iPhone is podcasts. I found that syncing with iTunes every morning is a bit of a pain now I'm used to iTunes Match for music.

I think the word Power user just mean 'lazy user', but that's just my opinion (please don't flame me for being a n00b or anything), as with a bit of thought you can get just about everything you want on there.

This will last me until the upgrade is available (paid full price as I couldn't stand the Android phone I was using). So it should be good until iPhone 5 is here.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Because I don't like to manage my media and prefer to have everything or at least as much as possible available to me. Not to mention what I want to listen to or watch depends on my mood. I have loads of music, podcasts, apps etc and ran out of space on my 32GB iPhone 4.

Considering you can't expand the storage on the iPhone like you can on other phones I prefer to have the largest capacity possible. Even if I don't use all of it now I know it's there when I need it. Unlike what Jordan921 said there is nothing crazy about it. I want the highest capacity and can afford it so that's what I get. No doubt if and when they release a 128GB model I will get that.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So, what color did you guys get? I am seeing so many people getting the white iphone, even the guys. I think it just looks girly on them.
Why are you asking if you think negatively of the white? Buy what you prefer even if it's for a ridiculous reason like that. If having a white iPhone makes you feel girly then selecting the color of your iPhone is the least of your problems. :rolleyes:

It's called subjective preference. That's why. 8 or 16 isn't enough for me either. My music alone takes up 15.1GB currently. Obviously, YMMV.

Some people like having their whole music library with them at all times which I think is crazy.
It's not crazy if you have the space and what you listen to depends on your mood. Again, subjective.

Last edited:

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
There's no way I'd be able to settle for 8GB. My camera roll itself takes up a good 9GB right now, another several GB for my music/videos, and a huge chunk with Apps (~300 apps apparently...). I guess I could limit everything down but for me, that would also limit my iPhone-experience(?). I think 32GB is a good spot for the iPhone and the iPad. I've filled up my 64GB iPad2 with movies and such at one point, but I was certain that I could slim the size down if my iPad had only 32GB.

That said, 16GB would be pushing it for me and 8GB...well, I personally wouldn't get one for myself.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Why are you asking if you think negatively of the white? Buy what you prefer even if it's for a ridiculous reason like that. If having a white iPhone makes you feel girly then selecting the color of your iPhone is the least of your problems. :rolleyes:

It's called subjective preference. That's why. 8 or 16 isn't enough for me either. My music alone takes up 15.1GB currently. Obviously, YMMV.

It's not crazy if you have the space and what you listen to depends on your mood. Again, subjective.

Exactly. I don't know why people find it so hard that some need higher storage capacities then others. It's a personal choice at the end of the day and there is no one storage capacity that is right for everyone.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So, what color did you guys get? I am seeing so many people getting the white iphone, even the guys. I think it just looks girly on them.

Seriously? Get over the fact that white iphone is for girls. IT IS NOT. People have their own preference on what color they like. Get over it.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I have had my iPhone 4 8GB for nearly a month now.

Using it in conjunction with:
- an iPad 2 (16GB)
- a MacBook, work's so I shouldn't really be using this as my media hub and looking forward to iCloud really finishing itself off (320GB)
- iTunes Match and iCloud

I have a couple of playlists always downloaded on the iPhone, several apps including Instacast, which I bought yesterday.

Does iphone 4 8GB come with iOS 5, so I can use iCloud.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I'm sure for at least half of all iPhone owners, 8GB of storage is more than enough.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought storage was categorized by capacity, not time. How many years is a terabyte?

2,35 years and 3.5 days :D

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I am a little confused, I got the iphone 4 8 gig for $49? Maybe it's different in Canada? I think 8 gigs is enough. I have a 8 gig ipod touch I leave in my car for music so I don't plan on putting music on the iphone. I don't play too many games but if I did I can always delete a game and download another. It's not like I am going to play 10 games at once.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Thanks. How's the 8GB memory coming along? I want to get it, I will be using it for music, some pdf, and pictures.

Pretty well, along with the following:
453c11d2-0a9c-a498.jpg

Although that music number isn't what is on my phone, more like what is in iTunes Match. There's actually 1.1gb of music. I have about 20 books on there and some photos too...

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Pretty well, along with the following:

Although that music number isn't what is on my phone, more like what is in iTunes Match. There's actually 1.1gb of music. I have about 20 books on there and some photos too...

Thank you Steve, with iOS 5, does this include Siri? If it does, I am definitely putting iPhone 4 on my wish list. Given that it might a half second slower, I still think iOS itself is fast enough.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida

I'm picking up the black 16GB today, and I am a woman ---not a masculine one either, so white/girl, black/guy paradigm is very juvenile when applied to the iPhone's color choices.

I decided to go with the black iPhone because I think it looks like the more serious, classy and professional choice of the two colors currently on offer.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thank you Steve, with iOS 5, does this include Siri? If it does, I am definitely putting iPhone 4 on my wish list. Given that it might a half second slower, I still think iOS itself is fast enough.

Siri is only available on the 4S. I wouldn't say it's a gimmick and it does have it's uses. That said it's not a necessity and more of a bonus. The only issue I have that it's currently limited in use here in the UK and the rest of the world outside of the US. Apple had promised to add the additional functionality sometime next year.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
One way to think of it is that the $100 extra you can pay for a the 4S is insignificant in the grand scheme of how much you'll pay for the phone's bill...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
One way to think of it is that the $100 extra you can pay for a the 4S is insignificant in the grand scheme of how much you'll pay for the phone's bill...

Exactly. Im not sure what carrier the OP is on, but it's odd that people are trying to save money by downgrading their phone rather than changing carriers. I admit my bias, but for me then Sprint performs just as good as Verizon/ATT but I pay 20-30/mo less than my friends. So over 2 years then you can save hundreds of dollars with a cheaper carrier and that gives you the money to buy a better phone.

I'm not criticizing. Im just giving my personal perspective.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
everyone's data storage requirements are different.

use your past iPhone data usage as a gauge for the future, if you never owned an iPhone, look at how big your music library is as starting reference.

if you cant estimate your own data storage consumption, buy the most storage you can afford because it is not upgradable during that 2yrs.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
My personal perspective...

Any photos taken with a cell phone is transferred immediately to my desktop computer and or usb thumb drive, so no need for a large amount of cell phone storage. Music is never on a cell phone. Have a nice stereo for that, and why waste battery life/space for the very limited time with music on a cell. Have a car stereo going from this point to the next point and sounds better than a cell phone. :p

Got 16 GB that is more than enough ;) Use my cell for phone calls, photos that are transferred/GPS/Food list, and some email only. Younger people like Facebook and Twitter, but that to me is a non starter.

violence

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I have an 8gb iPhone 4, just subscribed to iTunes Match and realized it doesn't actually stream songs, it saves the ones you play to your phone (you'll have to manually delete it to get it off). Really sucks since it limits me, I don't see the point of having the cloud if it ends up saving stuff to my phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.