Will you buy a PB after the most recent update?

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
I can't believe they didn't use the 7448 chips in these..

No way will I be supporting them with the knowledge that they are gleaning so much EXTRA profits at our expense by ripping us off! :mad:
 

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
1,539
0
bought a 17" with the 100gb 7200rpm hard drive. waiting for shipping confirmation. :)
 

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
3,734
158
If someone needs a 15 or 17 inch, I think at least they get something more, for a little less now.

However, for me. I'm not buying. I would have bought an updated 12-inch, but none came. :)
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
I don't know...

And this is what happens when Apple has no competition in this market segment.. they are probably going to goad us into believing that a G4 1.67 = a Pentium-M 1.6 for the same price. The reality of course is quite the opposite.

The new PMs are computers that you can buy today and carry you through to the third and even forth revs of Mactels... the current PBs.. not a chance.
 

Gmac07

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
65
0
i really wanted a new 12" pb, i might as well just get an ibook now. this really sux! im gona try and see if the parents can help me out and maybe if i get the ibook they can buy a 17" iMac for me at christmas. that way i got the portable for school and the videoediting machine i truly want.- that would actually work out better but i still would be spending a lot more money than i want to.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
I'd be sorely, sorely tempted to sell my 12'' to get an upgraded 12'' if there was one, since more screen estate wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't spring for a 15'', though, and the 17'' is too big (and costly) for me.
 

cal6n

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2004
1,935
24
Gloucester, UK
No.

I'd have bought a 15" dual core G4, even with the old 1280 x 854 but nothing here is worth upgrading to. Nice price drop but otherwise, meh!
 

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
2,824
0
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Very Upset with the powerbook updates. its a POWERbook, for pro's, it deserves a speed bump at least :eek:

If I had the money for a PB, i wouldn't get it. The update was so small and near-pointless. I'd rather get a dual-core powermac (man those are nice).
 

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
390
0
Manchester, UK
powerbook911 said:
If someone needs a 15 or 17 inch, I think at least they get something more, for a little less now.

However, for me. I'm not buying. I would have bought an updated 12-inch, but none came. :)
Same Here :(
 

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
853
2
At the Airport. UK
to be honest, i find this a pretty good update, nothing really substantial, but the price point is the best thing. look at wha you get now for £1399! £1379 bought you the computer i have now, and i added extras!

it still doesnt make me feel llke i bought an obsolete machine though, and i am certainly still happy with my powerbook. i intend it to have a long and happy life with me. touch wood.

people! you waited for your update! now the wait is over! go forth and burn thy credit card!!!!:D
 

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
1,606
1
I'm a little disappointed with these updates but I wasn't expecting anything major anyway.

I'll probably hold out until second Rev. Mactels, or maybe even buy the first Rev. if I'm impressed.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,245
38
The lower price and better resolution means I'm upgrading... but incredibly disappointing that there is no PCIe, X700, or even 9700 with a 256MB option.

I would love to just buy a dual-core but with a living situation like mine, that's more or less impossible. :( I guess I don't need the speed anyway.
 

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
812
0
NY
berkleeboy210 said:
Makes me wonder.... Should I buy a 12" PB now, and a iMac G5 Now (the new one) which would equal the cost of a 17" PB (with edu discounts) and then just save up for the Intels?
Thats a no-brainer. Go for it!

And for all those yelling about the updates, I feel you. But then again, I only got my 12" PB a month ago and would have been pretty pissed had the updates been significant...

macOSX-tastic said:
people! you waited for your update! now the wait is over! go forth and burn thy credit card!!!!
Best advice there is.
 

JayMtl

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
24
0
Montreal
macOSX-tastic said:
people! you waited for your update! now the wait is over! go forth and burn thy credit card!!!!:D
Agree completely!!! Which is why I finally decided to purchase an iMac and not a PB after a 2-week long "iMac vs. PB" struggle. I kept mulling over the potential upgrades the PB could receive and waited for today to see what would actually happen to the PB...and frankly, not much happened. Sure, the PB (15" and 17") is Apple's best portable, but if I was to buy a PB now (given its power) I would surely find it obsolete when compared to the upcoming intel-PBs. The iMac, however, will fare better and live longer than a PB. Both are sexy, but unfortunately the PB just wasn't beefed up enough. Next time, I'm looking forward to a beast of a PB, though. Until then, I'll be in love with my iMac!! :D
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
If this was a first time purchase of an Apple Comp I'd say yes, but I have a 1.25 ghz 15" and besides the High Def monitor, i don't feel like i'm missing much. They have upgraded the vid card since mine and they have updated the processor(not by much, or at least not by what should be proportional), but I don't think it should have taken them 2 years to get to this point. I mean if you put it in terms like that, I bought a Rev. A(was a regret since i had the white spots) and the fastest 15" that was available was 1.25ghz. After 2 YEARS they have only made it to 1.67 and it's taken them that long to adopt better quality monitors? I have gotten 2 solid years out of this thing and I still don't desire this new one.
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,242
1
Washington D.C
I am 17''!!! for my mom!( grandmoms helping pay)

it more then good enought for her she just needs the 17'' screen i think teh G4 is at its limits!
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
If I had the money I'd buy a 15" PB now, with the biggest harddrive possible. If I had a job, I'd have the money. I don't know what it is about my wife wanting me to get a job.

But, how soon will the Intel PBs come out? January '06?
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,242
1
Washington D.C
amin said:
This is exactly what I expected, which is why I bought my 15-inch Powerbook a couple months ago.

What did you expect the resolutions are better i think teh 15 and 17 are cheaper(i know the 17'' is) better battery life says apple