will you buy a PC laptop running on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markrivers, Oct 18, 2008.

1. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16154
    i have and use both an MBP and a sony Vaio..
    i think the only reason why APPLE has a "strong grip " to its LOYAL consumers is because of their OS.

so let's say in the next 6 months, Windows release a software like bootcamp or parallels that will run Mac OS X on a windows based computer..

are you going to go on the other fence?
    considering all the upgrades the OTHERS are putting on their machines ( blu-ray, SSD etc)

and take a closer look how the MBP with the black bezel and the chicklet keyboards is ALMOST, but not quite the VAIO:mad:

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

OS X isn't too bad, but I mostly run Linux on a Mac. I buy Apple for the hardware when I could just as easily buy from Sony. Why? Customer service after purchase.

I've had hell out of Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Acer, and HP over getting hardware purchased from them actually fixed. Apple hasn't given me any problems at any time when I needed to get something fixed. Lenovo has also been pretty good about it, but they're a bit more stiff about which OS is running on it when it is debugged.

Is $OTHER_OEM cheaper? Maybe, but I don't care. I want to be able to use my hardware without needing to worry about my computer being out for repair for 6 weeks (looking at you Toshiba and Dell).

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

apple simply wont allow this to hapen. It would kill their hardware sales

4. markrivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

markrivers

well, 2 yrs ago, no one thought a windows and a mac running on the same hardware...
    5 yrs ago... Mac was not using intel..

APPLE is snobbing its LOYALIST..
    and coming up with " unthinkable strategy like the Glassy only MBP
    because Steve knows He got us all by the .. you know what.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if it ran it WELL i would, but ive used hackintosh systems and they just dont compare to the real thing

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Visit insanelymac.com for the hackintosh installs

you can already to all of this...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I needed a new laptop or desktop now, I would be very tempted to do this. I really dislike glossy displays, and much prefer matte.

Luckily, I won't need to cross that bridge for a couple of years, so we'll see at that time.

8. markgamber macrumors 6502

The whole reason I bought an MBP was because I put 10.4.x on a Compaq V2000Z laptop and it ran very well. It took some work to get the wifi and cat5 network hardware going and to get the screen resolution to match the physical size of the screen, but it ran really well. Unfortunately, it was AMD and I could never get a 10.5.x on the thing so I went and bought an actual Apple laptop. The MBP is better but it was also $1100 more than the Compaq. I suppose the bottom line is that if I couldn't afford an MBP, yes, I'd buy a "PC laptop" with OS X on it as long as it ran well and all the hardware was supported.

9. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

If those systems were substantially cheaper than Macs (as they are now), I would happily jump to a PC running OS X. I've never had any problems with Dell hardware and support in the past so I'm not worried about the hardware. But if they were nearly the same price, I would always go for Apple hardware.

10. markrivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

markrivers

the reason i chose an MBP

3 reasons are:

1. OS X
    2. Matte screen
    3. powerbook keyboards

now, i only have the 1st reason...
    i don't know but i feel like APPLE is simply ignoring some VALID concerns by its loyal fan base..

11. south8212 macrumors 6502

your talking about 2 completely different things here.

Windows is a company that produces software, not much else. Therefore there os runs on all different kinds of manufatures products including apple. This is good for microsoft because it creates revenue by mac users buying the windows os for their macs.

Apple is a company that makes hardware (amongst other things) and an os that is ONLY for their products. If apple were to make their os so that pc users could put it on their machines it would not bring in as much revenue as their computer line does because of the fact that only it can run osx.

Therefore, apple will want nor allow this to happen.

12. sk47 macrumors member

I'm sorry but Sony VAIO's will never be a competitor for mbp's. They are way too underpowered... (and don't get me started with the looks department)

The only two PC notebook companies that I would say can come close to that of apple is Dell or Samsung (their recent re-entry into US after their exclusive deal with Dell expired), the former for power and the latter for looks (and decent but not quite matched power).

13. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Apple's EULA will not allow this to happen LEGALLY

hence the Hackintosh Computers

It would also cannibalize their sales of hardware because people don't want to spend more money, especially in this economic slump.