Will you cancel your contract and pay the ETF for an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merlosso, Jun 23, 2008.

?

Will you cancel your contract and pay the ETF for an iPhone 3G?

  1. Yes, I'll cancel the contract and pay the ETF to get my iPhone

    20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I'll wait until my contract expires and then get my iPhone

    7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. n/a - I am not currently in a contract OR I will not incur a fee for canceling my contract

    18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Merlosso macrumors 6502

    Merlosso

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #1
    I'm currently in a contract with Verizon but I'm planning cancel it for the iPhone 3G. How about the rest of you? Are you currently in a contract with another carrier? Are you planning to cancel your contract and pay the ETF to get an iPhone 3G or will you wait until your contract expires?
     
  2. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    #2
    I'm going to break my contract. I have sprint now... $200 ETF. Sounds crazy but I'm tired of sprint and the phone I have.. had it for about 2 years now. My contract isn't up til April of 09.... which sucks.. also I'm not to crazy about the Instinct..
     
  3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #3
    We need an option for: "I got out of my contract early without paying the early termination through a loophole" sorta thing.......
     
  4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

    Loonytik

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #4
    Pay $299 for 16GB 3G Iphone and then pay $175 ETF for a total of $474.

    Unlock it

    Take it to T-Mobile

    Done
     
  5. Merlosso thread starter macrumors 6502

    Merlosso

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #5
    Doesn't this cover that:

    "n/a - I am not currently in a contract OR I will not incur a fee for canceling my contract"
     
  6. oodanner macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    #6
    Yeah, this is the Iphone I've been waiting on so I'm going to port my Sprint number over to At&t on the 11th. BTW, I've had crystal clear service with Sprint where I live and the EV-DO service rocks as well. They just don't have the phone I want.
     
  7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #7
    O, sorry. To tell you the truth I didn't even read that. My bad.:eek:
     
  8. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    #8
    I'm due for an upgrade 2 months after the iphone is released, I'm 90% certain that I'll be able to get the iPhone on July 11th, especially because I'm on a family plan with 4 phones and mine is the only one being upgraded, and we pay them ~200/month. 2 months is not a big deal I think and I think ATT will accomodate me, and if they don't then I'll pay the ETF as long as it's not like 75 bucks or so. I've been in the 2 year contract for 18 months , give me a break.
     
  9. frosse macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Sweden
    #9
    Sorry but what is this thing about terminating ones ATT sub?

    How does it work? Can a non-US resident do it? And benefit from it?
     
  10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

    DreamPod

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #10
    Yup, unless they go bankrupt in time, I cancelling my Helio account and paying an ETF to get the iPhone 3G. Bought my Ocean a year ago, have a year to go on the contract.
     
  11. kevinbal macrumors regular

    kevinbal

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Storrs, CT
    #11
    I just sold my less-than-a-month-old enV2 on ebay for 240 (after fees and all that junk) so that will more than cover the ETF from Verizon. I consider it a wash to jump ship over to AT&T in just a few short (read: long) weeks.
     
  12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

    fishkorp

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2006
    Location:
    Ellicott City, MD
    #12
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    Why not just buy a 1st gen since 3G isn't going to work with T-Mobile?
     
  13. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    #13
    explain.... hahahah
     
  14. minik macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA
    #14
    For me I won't break my contract just to have an iPhone.

    I'm curious. If you cancel your service due to disagreement with the contract afterwards, for example the carrier raised price on SMS, will you still have to pay the ETF?
     
  15. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    Location:
    Fullerton, CA
    #15
    so happy I dont have to make that decision. My contracted ended in Dec 07 and I kept hearing there was going to be a new one out soon. I waited patiently, and saving up a lil money for it too.
     
  16. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    Location:
    Fullerton, CA
    #16
    Interesting....Cant wait til this all plays out. So far, it seems like the phone is under lock and key.
     
  17. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

    Loonytik

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    #17
    I give it a month, tops.....and it will be unlocked. Hack-Heads will make it their priority to unlock the phone.
     
  18. Hawk. macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #18
    Porting number over from TMo to Cingular.

    Contract for my TMo pearl runs through October but I've been dealing with a non useable menu button since my ski trip in Feb and solely speakerphone since the ear speaker went out in April. Needless to say I'm eager to rid myself of this p.o.s. and am well aware it's going to cost me $200 to cancel out of this contract.
     
  19. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2008
    Location:
    Fullerton, CA
    #19

    I love it. People buy it, just to hack it and make it work with something else. I love technology. Wish I was a hacker :(
     
  20. shecky Guest

    shecky

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Location:
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    #20
    i am on the fence right now... i have a blackberry on Tmobile that ends in Feb of 2009 (8 months from now). Tmo just announced a new policy of dropping the cost of the ETF from $200 to $100 if you cancel with 180 days left on your contract, but that apparently only applies to NEW contracts signed starting next week.

    so i have to ask myself, is it worth $200 to have it 8 months sooner. i don't think so but that does not mean i won't do it anyway :)

    and i was looking at cellswap but it looks to be no guarantee of keeping your number which is critical for me, so thats out too. plus i suspect with the flood of people trying to get out of their contracts come july 11 those sites are going to be hard to sell on.

    so... i don't know yet.
     
  21. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #21
    I did this with Verizon and after about 1 hour and some very rude employees, I canceled my contract WITHOUT the termination fee because of a small price increase on a bill they sent me.
     
  22. MV ROB macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    #22
    Nope, cause I need two phones and I refuse to pay that much on two lines. I believe if you cancel your contract and pay the ETF, you stand the chance of losing your number. I like my number more than the iphone. Im gonna hold out hope that what Steve said will be true on July 11th that no one will pay more than 199 or 299. Ill be more than happy to pay $600 for two phones on my family plan. But I wont pay 1000-1200, I dont NEED this phone.
    Oh whats the point of unlocking the 3G phone and bringing it over to Tmobile, the only thing youll be able to use there is the GPS.....just go get a 1st Gen. Tmobile uses a different frequency for their 3G.
     
  23. DreamPod macrumors 65816

    DreamPod

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    #23
    That won't save people from paying ETF's, though! Since it will be impossible to buy the iPhone 3G without signing up in-store for a contract with AT&T and walking out with an iPhone already activated with them, the only way to use it with another carrier is to...break your new AT&T contract and pay the ETF!
     
  24. Merlosso thread starter macrumors 6502

    Merlosso

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #24
    If you port your number, you won't lose it. Porting it establishes it with the new carrier, in your name, before the cancellation happens with your current carrier. If you were to go to your current carrier and cancel, then go to AT&T, your number would be lost.
     
  25. yode macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #25
    Won't be possible. At&t will have a policy where you would return the iphone 3G or pay the full retail price + ETF + the 70$ monthly fee which will be absurd
     

Share This Page