Will you cancel your newspaper subscription for pad version

Discussion in 'iPad' started by senseless, Mar 13, 2011.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I got the new Ipad to convert my print newspaper to the Press Reader Ipad version. I used it for 2 days and it just doesn't feel natural. Maybe it's because the page is so large and I can't see it all at once? Is this a matter of getting used to?

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

No. If loose my newspaper on a buss trip no big deal. If i loose my ipad its a huge loss

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I work for one so I don't pay for any right now. But I would gladly pay for subscriptions on the iPad. Something like that is eventually going to happen if the people in charge in the industry are as sick of watching Google and Huffington Post get rich off our content while we lay off people.

I'm hoping some of the bigger newspapers create something like The Daily. I like the framework, but I'm not going to pay 99 cents/week for what isn't too different from AP wire news. But I like the integrated crossword and sudoku because I know our readers get so upset if that stuff isn't there. I can see adding embedded comics and store fliers to make it almost literally a digital newspaper.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I for one don't subscribe to a newspaper...and given the state of the industry...sounds like I am one in several million.

What I would like to see is an exact copy of the paper digitally delivered. I don't want the stories as they appear on the web...I want to read the paper as the editor intended it to look. I have no experience with the iPad new readers, but I would subscribe to a 'paper' delivered via PDF or something similar.

Send me to your web page for deeper detail, interviews and info that didn't make the story, more pictures and video...but keep the 'paper' the paper...no matter what form it's in.

When I do read a newspaper pretty I read it pretty much all the way through. I read maybe 3 stories online.

So if the iPad version is pretty much an exact copy of the paper, I would be willing to give it a shot.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I switched all my mag subs to Zinio to read on iPad, so I don't get any dead tree ed. mags anymore... my mailman thanks me for the weight I took off his shoulder -- literally. BTW if you get the paper ed. you can switch for free if you email the mag's circulation dept. Ironically paper edition subs are still cheaper than electronic subs (haven't figured out why) so subscribe to the paper then switch to electronic vs. buying direct from Zinio. Most of my subs are close to free, $4-5 for a year, or free via some promo.

But I still get the paper WSJ because 1) it's more complete than the iPad version and 2) I need to read something on the plane when electronics aren't allowed on. Also the WSJ iPad ed. is free when you get the paper ed. so it's not really and either or proposition, but if it were I'd have to forgo the electronic version.

6. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

No.

No reason to when the paper's web page is free and is so easy to read on the iPad.

7. JohnDG macrumors member

Many papers are offering a downloadable ePub version (iBooks) along with the online e-edition, which is duplicate of the print version. I subscribed to the SF Chronicle a year ago, and lately subscribed to a closer paper when they also offered an e-edition. Checkout your local paper for an e-edition tab. The service is offered by Tecnavia.

jdg

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

At the moment most newspaper and magazine publishers are charging too much for their digital product. For example: I subscribe to the print version of the New Yorker. I pay LESS for each physical copy than Newhouse charges for the digital version. If the iPad version of the New Yorker was the same price as the printed version, I'd drop me subscription and get it on iPad. Same for newspapers and other magazines. Given the fact that digital distribution is cheaper than physical distribution it's my opinion that most publishers are gouging their iPad customers and I won't support that with my money.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The only paper (aside from parcels) that gets delivered to me is spam mail.

All my bills are done electronically and I don't subscribe to any paper publications. It has been this way for many years now.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

The reader via the web was an amazing hassle. I had this for the Houston Chronicle. If this e-pub can be read via an iPad, through iBooks, I would do it. But the online reader was just torturous.

How hard would it be to allow me to download a PDF of the paper? Why do publishing companies want to punish me for just wanted to get a paper-free edition?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Dito;) I do get Wingfoot (Atlanta Track mag) and Bottom Line by mail. I do email them every few months asking for a PDF version though. The sooner we get rid of (or at least minimize) the wasteful and antiquated tree to eyes system the better.

12. COSWORTH macrumors regular

I didnt know anyone still subscribed to newspapers.

13. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I'll always keep my newspaper subscription, no matter what iPad can do for news.

Call this silly or outdated, but I like holding and folding real pages, feeling the texture of the paper, easily carrying it under my arm wherever I go, not worrying about batter life or losing an expensive piece of electronics. Doesn't seem as impersonal as getting news on a "device".

Although I like technology, certain things like reading a book or newspaper give an experience you just don't get when delivered through digital electronics. I draw the line here with the virtual (and artificial world), wanting also to keep one foot in the analog world.

14. JohnDG macrumors member

Looks like the Houston Chron is a Tecnavia site:

# Download entire eEdition for offline reading.
    # Read it on the go via eBook, Kindle2 or SonyReader.

jdg

15. mrcalabash macrumors member

Unless my wife gets an iPad too how can we split the paper at the breakfast table?

16. foodle macrumors 6502

What newspaper subscription?

Haven't had one for 10 years.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

Well, if I get an iPad or a Kindle, I might look into it.

The paper is really not worth it to me. I might be interested in subscribing to a newspaper from back home perhaps.

Heck, the Chron was giving me the paper essentially for free with just a tip for the driver for several months. Even then it wasn't really worth it. :(

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Already did a long time ago. Been reading the SJ Mercury News on my iphone/ipad every morning. Their subscription people call me at least once a month and I tell them all that I already read their paper for free on the internet!

20. Roadking macrumors 6502

The only time I read the paper is usually when I travel (paper left at my hotel room door)

I just started reading The Daily and the USA Today iPad app. I actually enjoy both and will probably continue to read them. The USA Today app is free so if I don't feel the Daily is worth it, I will just stop it and read the other.

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

We stopped the paper a while back because of the ability to read it online. With the iPad, you can use Instapaper to save articles for reading later (although I rarely use it). I also have several news apps that are free on my iPad from larger publications, so there is really no need for a paper version. I also don't think I will be subscribing to any papers with a fee.

22. Richmond1958 macrumors member

I dont think I'll ever get rid of the local Sunday paper, but one of the most compelling apps for the iPad i have seen is "The Daily." Interesting, good editorials and gorgeous to look at.

23. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

I will be immediately canceling my subscription to Martha Stewart Living and option for the iPad version. It's freakin' awesome!

24. espo56 macrumors newbie

I already cancelled my delivery of the NY Daily News. I was paying 19.99 a month for delivery. I paid $12.99 for the year. Still buy the Sunday paper but love reading the daily on the iPad. No more wet paper and tips to those who don't deserve them.

25. ozred macrumors 6502

I do lots of reading but _not_ the newspaper. On an iPad? FAIL!