Will you get a refund from AT&T as well?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by California King, Jul 16, 2010.

1. California King macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs said today if you don't want the phone, you can return it for a full refund. Does this include the AT&T bill? I'm guessing it's a big fat NO...;)

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are you trolling, trying to be funny, or is this a serious question? No matter what the answer is, I might have just wasted 30 seconds of my life.

3. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

The reason why I'm asking is semi-complicated, but I'm serious.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Then I'm going to guess no. Jobs did say you'll probably be able to get out of your contract though.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this has always been the case with any carrier, not just AT&T and not just with the iPhone,

if you are a new customer and are unsatisfied with your service within the first 30 days, you can return your phone and cancel your contract without penalty, but you must pay for the service during the time you had the phone in your possession wether it was 2 days, 2 weeks or the full 30 days (you will be billed on a pro-rated fee)

now, if you upgraded to the new iPhone 4 and decided to return it, then your status goes back to what you had before the upgrade. meaning, if you had 6 months left on your contract, then you are obligated to fulfill your previous contract or pay the ETF.

6. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I believe you guys are correct. The only difference this time is that you don't have to pay restocking fee. Thanks guys.

BTW, thanks "grapes911" for wasting another 30 seconds to answer my stupid question! :D

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No problem. Sorry I thought you were trolling from your original post. The trolls have been out in full force lately and its hard to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm not returning my phone but was curious.. people who bought through AT&T and swapped out their phones at apple. What are their options? Can they still return or are they stuck with the phone?

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

AT&T (or Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc) might not take it back. With all the bad press already surrounding the iPhone 4, I'd assume Apple would handle this situation somehow before it adds fuel to the fire. I'm sure Apple has a record that you swapped serial number X for serial number Y. It might take a few phone calls though.

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

So what are you going to get?

It is proven that most smart phones have this issue in some fashion.

Here, maybe you can check e-bay and get one of these:

[​IMG]

11. kallemia macrumors member

kallemia

Ahhh the StarTac

The Motorola StarTac was a fantastic cell phone. Great reception, excellent voice quality. Fit nice in the pocket. Goofy antenna yes, but a wonderful piece of telephony... unlike the iPhone 4.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They were really cool phones, but I broke 4 of them in 6 months. Luckily I had phone insurance. Eventually, the tech guy said let's trade this in for a sturdier phone. I really like the design and call quality of the StarTac though.

13. phearx macrumors regular

And yet when you held the antenna in your fist, the signal degraded.

14. bekay macrumors newbie

Called att store, they said that you can get a full refund plus the restocking fee. This was after the press conference and I called 2 att stores to confirm, then went ahead and tried to return it, but since I had it serviced (battery would drain overnight) I couldn't return it to att. Called apple store and made an appointment with a genius to be able to return it.

Just a thought, I thought about returning it and waiting for the problem to silently fixed, but I realized I'm going to lose my unlimited data.. How convenient