Will you get AppleCare+ for new iPad?

Will you get AppleCare+ for the new iPad?

• Total voters

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Will Apple replace your iPad with a brand new iPad or a refurbished one, if you accidentally break it?

Where do you think the "break even"/"worth it" point is for AppleCare+? For example, if you get the 16GB WiFi only model, AppleCare+ is 20% ($99/$499), whereas on the 64GB with 4G it's 12% ($99/$829). Perhaps you feel that even at 12% Apple's extended warranty isn't worth it.

Would you forego a protective case and perhaps just go with a smart cover if you get AppleCare+?

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
Will Apple replace your iPad with a brand new iPad or a refurbished one, if you accidentally break it?

Where do you think the "break even"/"worth it" point is for AppleCare+? For example, if you get the 16GB WiFi only model, AppleCare+ is 20% ($99/$499), whereas on the 64GB with 4G it's 12% ($99/$829). Perhaps you feel that even at 12% Apple's extended warranty isn't worth it.

Would you forego a protective case and perhaps just go with a smart cover if you get AppleCare+?
I always buy Apple Care. Most times I don't need it but when I did boy was t worth it!

gcortes

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Redwood City, California
My iPad slipped out of a box I was carrying and dropped to a cement floor. The corner got dented and the front glass shattered, but mostly remained intact. I took it to an Apple Store and they told me they would give me another one for $249, which is half of what I paid for it new. I decided to get the new iPad along with AppleCare instead. If I drop it again, it will cost me $49 to replace it and I can do it twice.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors Pentium
Jul 16, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. Amex doubles Apple warranty plus won't be keeping more than a year anyway (assuming Apple keeps to this March launch routine) so would be a waste of $.

telefoto

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I didn't purchase it when I pre-ordered, however me thinks I might want to.

Can I still order AppleCare+ after the product ships?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes, generally get it for most of my Apple devices. I know the statistics say its not worth it but I think I've used it on at least 75% of my devices, even twice on my current iPhone 4.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I agree, and I set up the poll. :) First time, I used the poll feature, didn't know my options. Anyway, ideally I would have listed all options, e.g. Will buy 16GB WiFi only with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB WiFi only with NO AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with no AppleCare, then repeat for 32GB, 64GB.

Do you know how to edit poll after it has set up? How would you set up poll? My way would have 12 options! Maybe too many.

Questionable answers for a yes or no poll question....

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. Amex doubles Apple warranty plus won't be keeping more than a year anyway (assuming Apple keeps to this March launch routine) so would be a waste of $.
Amex only warranties it against accidental damage/loss/theft for 90 days from the date of purchase. The 1 year is more of a technical issue/defect warranty, I too use Amex for this very reason. One of the nice perks is the extended warranty, not to mention the best rewards system in the industry imo.

Aquaduck04

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
I agree, and I set up the poll. :) First time, I used the poll feature, didn't know my options. Anyway, ideally I would have listed all options, e.g. Will buy 16GB WiFi only with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB WiFi only with NO AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with no AppleCare, then repeat for 32GB, 64GB.

Do you know how to edit poll after it has set up? How would you set up poll? My way would have 12 options! Maybe too many.
I see. I think I would have just done Yes or No. What's the benefit from breaking it out into the various models? I'd expect the breakdown to be consistent across all models.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

As noted above the accidental coverage from Amex ends after the first 90 days. In addition there's added value in selling a year-old iPad with a year of warranty remaining. I'd hardly call it a waste of money.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
what kind of poll is this, what DIFFERENCE does the MODEL of your iPad 3 make in the poll

You are asking about Apple Care, it should be YES or NO

you fail

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
what kind of poll is this, what DIFFERENCE does the MODEL of your iPad 3 make in the poll

you fail
The difference in the models is obviously the cost. I may not pay $99 for AppleCare+ on a base model, but would for a top model. There needs to be a "no" option though.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I fail, the poll fails, but not for that reason. AppleCare is $99 no matter the model you get from the $499 model all the way up to $829. The point of the poll is to find out which model people think AppleCare is worth it. I would many getting at the $829 and fewer at $499.

I needed a "Not getting AppleCare+" option, but I guess you can't edit once the poll is up. But I can't even take it down to start over!!

you fail

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
My first poll and it's a failure! I don't know how to edit it, nor take it down. :(

----------

My first poll and it's a failure! I don't know how to edit it, nor take it down. :(

Help! I am getting yelled at here!
Mods can change it for you on request.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
No, I won't be getting AppleCare. I already have an alternate insurance coverage plan in the event my iPad is lost, damaged, or stolen.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
To the Moderators:

To the Moderators:

I'd like to edit this poll I created. It's my first time creating a poll and I didn't set it up with enough options. AppleCare is $99 no matter the model you get from the $499 model all the way up to $829, so the point of the poll is to find out which model people think AppleCare would be worth it. I would think more people would get AppleCare for the $829 model and fewer at $499 model.

I needed a "Not getting AppleCare+" option, ideally I would have listed all options, e.g. Will buy 16GB WiFi only with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB WiFi only with NO AppleCare, Will Buy 16GB 4G with no AppleCare, then repeat for 32GB, 64GB models, but that would create 12 options perhaps hitting a limit.

Please edit the poll soon, as some forum members are yelling at me and angry at the poorly constructed poll. Thanks.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
To the Moderators:
To notify the moderators that you would like to have your poll edited, please click on the "Report Post" button underneath your username in the initial post (it's the red and white exclamation mark icon). Indicate the new changes you would like to have in your poll.