Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unlimited data options?

• Total voters

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have no use for unlimited minutes and text, with google voice I'm good on minutes and texting.

You can circumvent the texting by using Google Voice, but if you use the Google Voice number for outgoing/incoming calls on the iPhone it will still use your plan's daytime minutes to establish the connection for those Google Voice calls - even if you dial out of the app.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
you dont need to give up data... just add a line to your plan for $10 a month use that upgrade and the total price of your phone will be $420 after 2 years.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
doesn't matter about unlimited data, it will not be around much longer grandfathered or with Sprint, just the way the industry is going and nothing we can do to stop it.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
You can circumvent the texting by using Google Voice, but if you use the Google Voice number for outgoing/incoming calls on the iPhone it will still use your plan's daytime minutes to establish the connection for those Google Voice calls - even if you dial out of the app.

I use android for phone and ipad for tablet. With the ipad I get free calls via 3rd party app (and texts). I also get free calling via my computer. I never ever use even close to mu 450 minute alotment on my cell phone. 95% of my communication is data based

----------

you dont need to give up data... just add a line to your plan for $10 a month use that upgrade and the total price of your phone will be $420 after 2 years.

but if you do that after the 28th verizon will switch you to shared data plans wont they?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'd be willing to give it up for the savings. It's nice though that for LTE, it's throttled after 5gb instead of 3gb. However I don't have LTE anywhere near me under AT&T (Verizon I do though..hmm ;) ) so it's kind of a moot point.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I don't think this is entirely true. I don't really forsee me using my phone for many other things than I use it for now. The only difference is, the things I use it for now (music streaming, casual browsing, email, etc) will be FASTER. I made this analogy in another thread: It's like going from a Honda Civic to a Corvette. The drive to work is still the same (you're still using the vehicle for the same purpose) only now, you can get there FASTER!

Here's a question for you, Think back to 2007 (pre iPhone), what were you doing on your phone then and how does that compare to what you are doing now? Back then (ONLY 5 years ago), I bet you were talking and texting and that's all, now I bet you do not do much of either of those. Point is that technology changes the usage of how you use the phone and LTE will change it again over time as more and more "things" are available for you to do. The question is with these plans will you be able to afford using your phone?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I'm going to wait and see what happens. It's entirely possible vzw and at&t will make unlimited give it up entirely. If it happens, then I'm looking at the mvno providers.
Also, it depends on the new iphone. Some people want certain things, whether they're unrealistic or not, and won't buy it if it doesn't have their desired features.
The economy is also going to be a big factor. Right now I'm unemployed, so buying a new phone isn't realistic, subsidy or not.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Here's a question for you, Think back to 2007 (pre iPhone), what were you doing on your phone then and how does that compare to what you are doing now? Back then (ONLY 5 years ago), I bet you were talking and texting and that's all, now I bet you do not do much of either of those. Point is that technology changes the usage of how you use the phone and LTE will change it again over time as more and more "things" are available for you to do. The question is with these plans will you be able to afford using your phone?

Think of it this way: supposing you have high speed Internet at your house. How do you use your phone differently on that high speed connection versus when you only have a 3G connection? The only things I do on my home high speed Internet (~25 Mbps) is download app updates. Every now and then if I'm really lazy I'll send a 3 mb picture to myself on wifi... We're talking once every 2 months.

Point is, we technically have high speed data access on our phones via wifi. Based on how you use that one can consider other variables,and make a really good guess as to how they will use the new stuff.

I will certainly be able to afford using my phone under these plans. Heck, I'm one of the few who's going to save $10-15 per month over the current pricing scheme.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I usually buy my iPhones at full price. I have no contract right now and I like that feeling :)

All I need to do is sell my 4S for a few hundred bucks, and the retail price of a new iPhone does not seem to bad.

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
I don't even have a upgrade available until 2013, so I will have to buy my next iPhone off contract anyways. And yes, I have unlimited data.

I have a 4S, but I'll be giving that to my mom as she gives me her old 4 once the 5 comes out. So I'll probably have to purchase the 5 at around $400 once I get the 4 sold.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I have ATT unlimited; but in my eyes its really only 3Gb as that is when they throttle. I would rather have the phone subsidy and pay less up front. Just my Humble Opinion

PacificBeach

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
I am sick of this madness with vzw and att! But I really want VZW LTE and vzw doesn't throttle LTE. So I might just settle for the Pebble Blue Galaxy S3 . I heard that is the rare version of the Galaxy S3

----------

I'm not sure what you mean? Many android users have unlimited 4G

I know current 4G owners can keep unlimited on vzw but not sure about 3G unlimited folks!

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Think of it this way: supposing you have high speed Internet at your house. How do you use your phone differently on that high speed connection versus when you only have a 3G connection? The only things I do on my home high speed Internet (~25 Mbps) is download app updates. Every now and then if I'm really lazy I'll send a 3 mb picture to myself on wifi... We're talking once every 2 months.

Right, but at home I have a laptop on which to surf the internet. When I'm out on the 3G/4G network all I have is my smartphone. It seems like most people posting haven't actually used an LTE mobile device. The vast majority of people will be using more data on LTE whether they realize now or not.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I am sick of this madness with vzw and att! But I really want VZW LTE and vzw doesn't throttle LTE. So I might just settle for the Pebble Blue Galaxy S3 . I heard that is the rare version of the Galaxy S3

----------

I know current 4G owners can keep unlimited on vzw but not sure about 3G unlimited folks!

I would say upgrade to a 4G device asap to make sure you can stay on 4G unlimited. It will be very iffy afetr the 28th

----------

When people start seeing their cell phone bills at 2 or 3 if not more times what they used to be all I can say is don't say you weren't told it was going to happen. Quote me now

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Except that AT&T did it first with their overly harsh throttling.

This is why I wished Apple was still exclusive to Att. Now with all these carriers having the iphone.. More and more problems. AT&T is and always will be the best in US as far as wireless carrier

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
This is why I wished Apple was still exclusive to Att. Now with all these carriers having the iphone.. More and more problems. AT&T is and always will be the best in US as far as wireless carrier

Right... so by being the first one to throttle and extremely harshly at that, they're the best?

If anything, Apple expanding to other carriers is HELPING the situations by adding competition. Otherwise, AT&T would have free reign to do as they wish... even moreso than the already are.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I've had unlimited since iPhone 3G and have never used more than 1 gig a month. Hell, now I use maybe 300 megs per. I'd give up unlimited the moment a fully-subsidized phone was offered in its stead.

In fact, I may give ATT a call and see if I can make the trade.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
i have a family a plan and will just upgrade one of the other lines without unlimited data and swap sim cards.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
what's sad about me, is that I never go over 2gb hardly.

So , if AT&T does do that, I would probably cave.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Given how much (or little) data I use on my smartphone now and the fact that I have (2) MiFi's and will be adding a 64GB iPad 4G LTE soon I am moving to the tiered plans for a simpler way of managing my data between (4) different devices. I use WiFi wherever and whenever possible and I don't stream audio/video on the go. Its not a big factor to me compared to paying $849 for a 64GB iPhone vs $399

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
i have a family a plan and will just upgrade one of the other lines without unlimited data and swap sim cards.

Im going to be taking my upgrade from another line as well, that also doesnt have unlimited data, and then switch it to mine, but idk if thats going to work still. im hoping it does

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.