Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitch444

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Portugal
Google are moving away from open standards. In the same way that they stopped using the iCal standard in favour of their own 'Google Calendar' API, they'd love to eventually force using some kind of 'Gmail API'.

the support CalDAV and CardDAV for Calendar and Contacts respectively, although i'm only using CalDAV for 2 public calendars, as i use iCloud for everything. And as far as i know CalDAV doesn't support invites at least from google.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
the support CalDAV and CardDAV for Calendar and Contacts respectively, although i'm only using CalDAV for 2 public calendars, as i use iCloud for everything. And as far as i know CalDAV doesn't support invites at least from google.

CalDAV API will become available for whitelisted developers, and will be shut down for other developers on September 16, 2013. Most developers’ use cases are handled well by Google Calendar API, which we recommend using instead. If you’re a developer and the Calendar API won’t work for you, please fill out this form to tell us about your use case and request access to whitelisted-only CalDAV API.

http://googleblog.blogspot.de/2013/03/a-second-spring-of-cleaning.html

They finish it off with some BS about being "committed" to open standards, but the writing is on the wall. CalDAV works for now. Mark my words: come September (or soon afterwards), it won't be possible to add yourself to the whitelist and they'll try to fade out use of CalDAV in favour of their proprietary Google Calendar API.

skitch444

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Portugal
http://googleblog.blogspot.de/2013/03/a-second-spring-of-cleaning.html

They finish it off with some BS about being "committed" to open standards, but the writing is on the wall. CalDAV works for now. Mark my words: come September (or soon afterwards), it won't be possible to add yourself to the whitelist and they'll try to fade out use of CalDAV in favour of their proprietary Google Calendar API.

let's hope that iOS adopts that API. but there's not a sign of push gmail on iPhone Mail.app

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
let's hope that iOS adopts that API. but there's not a sign of push gmail on iPhone Mail.app

Hence mailbox for push for now. Gmail for iOS is still quite limited in that it lacks a unified inbox and ability to open attachments in other apps. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.