Will you leave your phone on silent mode?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dontwalkhand, Apr 11, 2015.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think after I get the watch, as long as I'm wearing it, I'll keep my phone on silent mode (and the watch for that matter) because the taptic engine will be enough to notify me of what's going on on my phone.

When I'm not wearing the watch, for example when I'm at home, I'll turn the iPhone sounds back on so I can hear it, the watch will be on its charger.

2. Sophrosyne macrumors member

3. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

That's what I do with my iPhone 6+ and pebble now.

4. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I would like an iPhone option that tells it to use the Watch if the watch is ON me but go back to normal when it is off. Right now I keep my phone on vibrate at work and forget to take it off that at home. I have missed a few calls.

I also have a Pebble. You can hear that vibrate on a table in the next room. I am excited to get rid of vibrations and dings. Taptic touch will be great.

Who is not sick of standing in a group and when we hear a ding EVERYONE has to pull out the phone to see who got it. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

5. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Always. I have silent + no vibrate enabled the majority of the time as is. I'm excited.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I do with my pebble right now. My phone is on complete silent w/ vibrate turned off. The only time I turn sound on is when I go to bed. I have DND set up.

7. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Keep mines on dnd all the time. Just have it set up so if my favorites call I'll get it. That's all I really need.

8. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

this ^^

My pebble (and subsequently my apple watch) tells me all I need to know.

9. iregret macrumors 6502

10. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

12. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Can you have the watch silent and just vibrate but the phone on sound and vibrate? I just don't want the watch making noise other then the vibrate.

13. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I agree. That's why I submitted a feature request for it on Apple's website.

14. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I believe you can do this, the settings in the watch seem to allow for "Match phone" or have its own settings.

15. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple is pretty responsive. If approved it'll be on gen 3 watch. Working well in advance like the competition gen 2 is done and being tested. Once that's done manufacturing will begin.

16. PeterRollback macrumors regular

I always have my phone on vibrate.

17. betabeta macrumors 6502a

This is why I hope everyone gets the watch, so tired of hearing ringtones out in public on the street or in the park.:p

And I really don't like to have my own phone go off, tired of trying to answer it so fast.

I estimate I will be answering all my calls on my watch and just saying I'll call you right back:cool:

18. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I always have my phone set to silent mode. I'm hearing impaired and the watch will allow me to get notifications when my phone is sitting on a table rather than being in my pocket.

19. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

20. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I guess you know very little about software. It is not that big a SOFTWARE change to make. Just a setting and PROBABLY 30 lines of code or less that will implement it.

The software just needs to know if the option for phone going totally silent as long as the watch is ON and unlocked is set. Then it just toggles off or on whatever flag tells the phone to ring or vibrate. It could be even easier than that. First set the flag and just test it before ringing or vibrating.

I think that many of us would like such a feature and it goes toward what seems to be the experience they are looking for with us using the watch for a lot of the little things while using the phone as our central cpu and engine. It will be SO EASY to use the watch to handle that one notification and get back to what you were doing. The problem with pulling the phone out for everything is that it is easy to go ahead and look at three more things while the phone is out.

My iPhone 6+ is used by me to be a nice little mini tablet. It is great for the things that I need a lot more screen for. I am excited that I can now offload those things that I DO NOT need a bigger screen for. I will likely rarely use my iPhone at home because most of what I need then will be either on the watch or the big PC. Away from home my phone is a great browser.

21. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

always silent dude lol college life:rolleyes: now with watch it would improve alot since i can just check messages , email and you know sent maybe few drawaing and heart beats.

22. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had a Pebble smart watch for a year and a half now and I only keep my iPhone on silent (no vibrate) when I'm in a meeting or in class. Otherwise I keep the sounds on.

With the Watch I don't know yet - I'll be interested to see how the notification sounds actually sound coming from the watch and if they're bearable I'll probably just leave my phone silenced. Too early to tell now though.

23. technosix macrumors 6502a

Wrong.

Guess again, you have 2 more tries.

24. DannyT2011 macrumors member

My phone is always on silent & no vibrate. The downside of this is often checking if someone has replied if I'm currently messaging someone :p so hopefully the watch will allow me to check less!

25. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier