Will you live in this apartment?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jizwood1, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jizwood1 macrumors member

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely disgusting. You'll never find me there.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's the result of a mental disorder called "hoarding". It's pretty bad, too. My aunt was like that. She just would never throw anything away. When she died, they had to gut her house. It's really sad.

4. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

Whatever it's called, that's absolutely disgusting! I couldn't imagine how that would smell. It might even burn the eyes:eek:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I remember seeing some special on TLC or Discovery about that. Some people just cant get rid of anything, and they showed some that were literally freaking out because they didn't have any more room.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. They feel like they will have some need for all this stuff sometime in the future. I guess it's a really bad insecurity issue.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Your guess is as good as anybody else's.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

troll's house.

WOW… thats seriously disgusiting. but people like this usually have an illness which is the cause of this. its true i saw it on Oprah. they need a clean team but the resident would probably just mess it up again.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, a guy I know at work has a brother in law with it. They finally had to go into the house and clear it out by order of the city. The pictures were frightening- much worse than this one.

13. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I did my senior project in high school on hoarding. It's a very interesting disorder.

This is truly an extreme case.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have almost seen the equivalent, belonging to a brilliant PhD programmer with Asperger's, not unlike the man from the movie, "A Beautiful Mind".

Another famous trashed house is the original Van Halen studio from the late-70s or early 80s. OMFG, but I won't post that here as it will make people sick, literally. It was during the band's really heavy drinking, and puking days.

15. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

16. Surely Guest

Surely

17. JBazz macrumors 6502

There were some pics circulating on the internet some time back showing Whitney Houstons house. Her bathroom was seriously nasty, nasty, nasty.

18. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

Mental illness is not excuse for living like a Pig. People like this need their asses kicked.

19. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I've seen my fair share of nasty apartments (namely a friend and his two college friends, ugh) but that takes the cake.

I don't think they'll be getting their deposit back!

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

We have a rental property immediately next door to us (otherwise an owner-lived-in residential neighbourhood) and every time a family moves out they find this type of thing... probably not that bad, but I've heard the basement gets completely filled with trash and they regularly pee in the corners of the rooms and on the furniture - it must be a class of person because every time a new, unrelated family moves in it's the same thing all over again.

That photo set couldn't be done any better if it was a Hollywood set done up to the last detail to be that way..

21. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I would faint truth be told, the pictures look horrible but I can only imagine how terrible it must smell.

22. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I used to work in community development in a smallish town (aprox pop 35,000) and we had a few houses like this, one I remember was a lot worse, I still get shivers.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nice. Ass-kicking mentally-ill people. Have some compassion.

I used to know someone with a house like this. It had trenches through the rubbish. She wasn't well at all and later died of an overdose. For her, all this stuff was a comfort.

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When I mentioned this to another PhD programmer, he explained that this was not a disease but a lifestyle, that of a doctorate level programmer working on a dissertation or serious post-Doc research.

He told me once he sat at the computer for 48 hours without eating or sleeping, and only drank coffee and urinated (hopefully in the toilet) because he was so concentrated on making something work in a certain computer language that nobody had done before. He had no idea of the lapse of time until somebody intervened and stopped him and ordered him to bed.

It is typical, he says, for some PhD programmers to become completely oblivious to their surroundings for a day or two and it becomes them and their code. All hearing is gone, there is no sense of smell, no hunger pangs, just this fixated one sided purpose to break through to the other side.

I wonder if this happens to a person like Lance Armstrong during the Tour de France?

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Those pics are pretty bad, but I've seen worse when my parents decided to try to get into the real estate market a few years ago. They picked up an almost-foreclosed-on home of an animal hoarder who apparently had never cleaned since she moved in - we're talking years' worth of garbage, rotten food, feces, cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, etc. here. How someone was able to live in it and not be chronically ill is beyond me. It turned out to be so horrid they had to basically strip the house down to the studs and concrete slab and start over to make it habitable. They even had to throw out the refrigerator and other assorted appliances as they couldn't be salvaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.