Will You Miss PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Oct 18, 2007.

?

Will You Miss Sony PS3 Backwards Compatibility?

1. Yes, I want or have a PS3 that has it.

43.6%
  2. No, I won't be playing PS2 games on my PS3.

20.5%
  3. I don't care if it has it or not.

5.1%
  4. I don't have and won't ever buy a PS3.

30.8%
  1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, will you? Are you going to buy one now that it's cheaper, even if it doesn't have it?

Please vote!!!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have a PS3 right now and I don't even miss it let alone backwards compatibility. Poor thing hasn't been turned on in ages. Still not sure why I bought it.

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Yea, I say Sony should've have just left it out to begin with and they would've been more competitive with the XB360 from the start...

Well, they have said that Sony released it a year too early. It's just about a year later and it finally REALLY here!!! (for me it's the $399 one)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No!

With plenty of great PSN 'budget titles' and a winter of some really good firstparty titles, let alone the games I already have I see no need.

Besides lets face it......

IF YOU HAVE PS2 GAMES, THE CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE A PS2

As PS2 hardware and games are worth next to nothing in Trade In value nowadays, then what's the big deal. Keep your PS2 if you must, but chances are 6 months after you have bought a PS3, the PS2 and games will be gathering dust in the closet.

I never played ANY PS1 games on my PS2
    I never played any GBA/SP games on my NDS
    I never played any GB color or classic games on my GBA

The only console which I use the BCC feature is the Wii for playing my Cube games.

But in regards to PS3 - for me BCC is a non issue, as much as it is on the 360.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When the time comes for me to buy a PS3 it will be a 2nd hand one with b/c. If there are none to buy then I will not own one till next gen.

A PS2 slim is looking fine for me. I'd rather spend money on games instead of systems.

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Not a deal breaker but would have been nice.

Here are some rarely mentioned little advantages of backward compatibility:

• Less inputs required on my receiver and TV
    All my HDMI and Component connections are already taken (3 of each). I'd love to be able to enjoy the PS2 games in component quality.

• Less power outlets required
    I'm running out of these really fast and I have one of those big 12 outlets surge protector powercentre.

• Less space needed in my home theatre cabinet
    It's kinda packed and my 360 has to sit on top of my PS2.

Also, isn't the PS3 supposed to very nicely upscale PS2 games? Too bad this perk is going to be dropped. I have a big PS2 library and there is still a lot of good high quality titles coming out for the PS2 exclusively.

Note: I didn't use the PS2's PS1 backward compatibility much because my PS1 games looked worst when run on the PS2.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a PAL 60 GB PS3 so I've got software BC _BUT_ I don't use it at all. I've got no interest in PS2 games. There are too many good PS3 titles to play.

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I have little interest in PS2 games. So, I couldn't care less. A PS3 satisifes my interest for HD games and better graphics...I don't want last gen PS2 games. I want current gen, graphically amazing PS3 games.

And my Wii...even though I have tons of Cube games, I haven't touched any of them since I bought the Wii.

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

For those of us who are videogame collectors - it's more fun to play the game on the original console with the original controllers.

Still having fun with my Atari 2600 (on an old TV set nonetheless). Looking forward to the PS3 on HD!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is true, but Srobert brings up some very good points. Less sockets, more free space and upscaling are good things. So long as the new console has a way of using an original controller for B/C it's okay in my books.

I really really need an N64 controller for my Wii.

11. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

12. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Yup, have to agree here. I'll be picking up a 40GB PS3, and it'll be sat alongside my PS2. There's no point selling it on, as PSTwo's are so cheap.

The price drop is of more use to me, than incomplete B/C....

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Except for the people who do need it, of course.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wrong.....if they need it chuck down and get the 60/80gig...how dear they give us a choice!

B/C is nice to have but I couldn't really give a damn about it....the good ole PS2 is still there if I need it.

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But there isn't here. Once the 60gb (and whatever is higher here now) is gone that's it. No more b/c PS3 to be bought in stores. Nada.

How dear they take away our choice... :rolleyes:

16. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Not 'new' per se but used consoles will be readily available - forever, pick a place. :) Craigslist, fleabay...local paper, game stores etc. ;)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wheres the 80gig going....its still B/C so the choice is there...it might not be 98% like the 60 but 80% is good enough until they get it right.

Are they not selling the 80gig in Europe anymore....if so then you still have a choice.

Bless

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i don't know, I can see it being a problem if I get into Sony's big games and want to play the older ones, but for now, its a none issue.
    Really the thin that gets me is how Sony mocked MS for the Xbox 360 BC..thats get me!

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

UK is only getting the 40GB model in the future I believe. That is until the 120GB model comes out. But Jimmi wouldn't buy either so the point is moot in this case :D

20. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

I have a PS3 with hardware compatibility, so this really doesn't affect me. Still not nice to see though.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats sucks....oh well I guess Europe gets the shaft again.

Bless

22. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I have a 60GB PS3 with B/C, but honestly, I never use it. I never played PS1 games on my PS2 either.

I think in the US, the 80GB starter pack for $499 is the best value by far. You get a second controller (which most people will get anyways) plus a free game. (Who buys a PS3 and no games?) You get the biggest hard drive available (for now), plus B/C. Sounds like a good deal to me.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a 60GB PS3 with B/C, which is why I voted yes on the poll. However, I have yet to use it to play my PS2 games, and won't until GH I and II can be played on PS3, at which time I'll pack up my PS2. I have too many damn consoles hooked up and would like to retire both my PS2 and Xbox along with my GC. Can't until certain games are compatible.

What really troubles me is trying to see how, with all the constant spec flopping Sony is doing trying to be competitive, a regular Joe consumer is going to understand what his shiny new PS3 is/isn't capable of? Get a grip, Sony.