Will you send your samsung rMBP back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aware, Dec 12, 2012.

1. aware macrumors member

Knowing that getting samsung is harder than lg, will you return your samsung rMBP if there is a slight yellow tint or color not uniform?

2. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

No.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Why would it matter if it's Samsung or LG?

Both vendors have to adhere to Apple's technical specifications for the screens regardless. I mean, am I missing something here? Why are people hoping for one screen vendor over the other?

4. leman macrumors 604

Because LG screens are slightly more prone to have a serious image retention defect. For some reason many people on these forums believe that all LG monitors are defective (which I, as an owner of a rMBP with an LG display find rather puzzling).

To answer the original question: I would return any laptop which is not performing up to the specifications, no matter what kind of display it has...

5. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

because LG's have image retention and Samsungs do not...Enough reason for me to want a Samsung display.

LOL Apple doesn't care about the end user that much.

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

well i don't think they're indifferent regarding refunds...

7. flipnap macrumors 6502

and at the same time all these IR reports on LG were coming in, about the same number of people were reporting stuck pixels on the samsung. go figure

8. unwinded macrumors regular

Aren't all the replacement screens Samsung only? The thought of having something so new and expensive go in for a repair put me off, but the image retention (had an LG) was getting stronger and worse. I couldn't watch a video without seeing my desktop's ghost for over five minutes. It wasn't just grey anymore, but also certain greens and oranges. It was most apparent with iphoto's and photoshop's default color scheme. Repair was covered under standard warranty (no Applecare), took three days, and because the entire lid is now the part for the screen, I got a new lid out of it. Had a couple minor scratches on the original, replacement is perfect.

Ran stuck pixel single-color tests and stared at it from every angle, no stuck pixels. I did get scared when noticing very faint flashing pixels looking like snow on the Steam forum's grey background. Goes away when gfxcardstatus forces the nvidia. Still, it freaked me out but it turns out it's a known-issue with all Intel 4000s.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I have a few stuck pixels on mine but I prefer that to ghosting issues. I have to look to find the stuck pixels, ghosting is prevalent anytime you switch highly contrasting images on the display.

10. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

no...they're...not.

Where do you get this BS? Look at the apple support forum and count the number of people with LG's and IR and the number of people with Samsung's and stuck pixels/yellow tint.

Numbers, they don't come out of your behind.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're looking for absolute perfection, you may as well wait out this generation. Display technology is imperfect.

12. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

you might as well skip the next as well. I guarantee you that the display technology will not change.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It will likely improve as commodity panel versions appear and reference designs become available. Apple often makes a lot of adjustments for second generation devices, so even with the same panel, the implementation could be adjusted to alleviate some of these issues or LG may find a way to address the problem on their end.

14. washburn macrumors 6502

There is the possibility the latest LG screens don't have the issue anymore, since LG fixed it up?