Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
*points to his signature* I have an Apple Credit account, so I could buy something now if I wanted. My wedding (November) makes it a little difficult to prioritize such a thing, but if I really wanted a new Mac, I could have one.

I sold my iBook G4 1GHz to help pay for the wedding, and then I turned around and ended up spending that money on this Indigo iBook and a Blue & White G3. I'm happy as the pope pooping on unhatched eggs between a rock and a hard place in the sun while burning a bridge in the woods. Or something. Uh, I'm very happy with both machines. They're not light-speed, of course, but they're responsive enough. If I could just figure out how to force the B&W to display in 1600x1200 (yeah, the monitor supports it), I'd be even happier.

It's been my plan to wait until Rev. B of the Intel Power Macs, and buy one. This will be my first new Prosumer machine, only my second new Mac (I've had about 8-10 other Apples, probably), and it's going to cost me out the ass. So yeah, I'm definitely going to be watching where I put my money.

The Power Mac G5 is a gorgeous machine, and for some reason it just seems about twice as powerful as an Opteron box... dunno why... but I'm really enthusiastic about the switch to Intel. I only hope that the Apple coders don't get spoiled the way Windows programmers have, and assume that they should use all of the power the chip has -- I'm ecstatic having a six-year-old machine that runs <1 year old OSes with all bells and whistles enabled. If I buy a Power Mac Intel, I want it to last me for at least ten years.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Well, I'm a Powerbook guy, so if Apple ever does release a G5 Powerbook, I'm all over it, and I probably won't need to upgrade to an Intel (or anything else) for another five years. I think the G5 is an awesome processor.

But otherwise, yeah I have to go Intel. What choice do I have? My guess is that the Mac Intel laptops will be at 3ghz or 4ghz by 2007. How's a G4 Powerbook going to keep up? If I want a Powerbook that will still run OSX and current software acceptably in a year or two, it's Intel inside. Not crazy about that, and I wish Steve had made the deal with AMD or VIA or anyone else, but that's how it is.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I certainly don't like the idea of an Intel processor in my Mac. Before I discovered Mac OS X I always bought AMD and I wanted to like Linux despite it's lack of user friendliness.

I'm probably one of the guys who always cheer for the underdog.

My plan is to get a PPC PowerMac before Apple goes all Intel, and then stick with it for a while. Of course, eventually I will get a non-PPC Mac. The OS is much more important than the particular brand of processor. I can only hope that Steve Jobs will have gotten pissed at Intel for some reason by then and started to use AMD in some models ;)

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I'm at least holding on to my iBook G4 until the second rev. of any Intel 'Books...
Don't own an iBook yet, and was planning on getting one when Apple announced the Intel switch. Instead I bought and iMac G5 (see below), which I hope to be using for several years at least.

The more I think about the Apple/Intel thingy, the less I care what it's running as long as it has OS X. I don't think Apple's going to drop PPC like a stone, either, so when I do eventually buy another Apple I'll have the best of both worlds.

All that being said, I agree with Admiral Thrawn - Intel iBooks will need to be at least rev. B before I buy again...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I'm hopefully getting a DP G5 PowerMac in the fall. I want it to last through the first few rev's of the Intels. I have a feeling they'll be buggy for a while. That, and our IT guy here at work convinced me it would be a good move.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm going to need a Mac in a few months or so, so it definitely will be a PPC. I have nothing against Intel per se, just don't like the P4. The Pentium Mobile is pretty good though, and better than what we have now as far as the G4's development has gone. Too bad, because they G3, 4, and 5 are pretty good chips on their own, just didn't get the updates the needed. I like AMD too, but I'm sure Apple has their options open for the future. As far as the next Intel-based PowerMac is concerned, it may be based on the next gen Intel desktop chip that is supposed to blow everything else away. I'll believe it when I see it, but if we're still at ~2GHz G5s by then, guess it's for the best. Don't confuse Windows with Intel, it's just a CPU, and I'm just glad Apple planned ahead so well just in case.

My next Mac will probably be a G5 PowerMac. But as long as it runs the Mac OS, I will run whatever chip is the fastest I can afford at the time. It's a shame we'll never be faster than the others guys, but at least we won't be slower anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.