Will you subscribe to iTunes Match for $25/year?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by amethystjw, Jun 13, 2011.

?

Do you plan to subscribe to iTunes Match?

Poll closed Aug 12, 2011.
  1. Yep! I think it's gonna be great!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Maybe. It's a little pricey but I'll probably do it.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. No point; all of my songs are from iTunes anyway.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. No. I'm angry that Apple doesn't support synchronizing songs I bought on tape in 1986.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. amethystjw macrumors member

amethystjw

I'm curious to see how many of us are planning to fork over $25 per year for the iTunes Match service, once it becomes available in a few months. Remember, this is the service that allows you to sync all of your music between all of your iDevices, including songs you did not purchase from iTunes.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'll probably wait to hear how it works first and then if I think it works for me, then buy it.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You can upload your 'ripped' stuff anyway so what's the point?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upload to where? I don't think there are any services that let you upload them for free.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Could of sworn Jobs said 'Or you can upload them yourself'. :confused:

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I probably won't make the move immediately (will wait for all the bugs to shake out), but I'll definitely use this at some point.

About half my music library comes from CDs so it will be nice to have those available to stream.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

The iCloud page says that if you have a song that they aren't able to match, you can upload it. It's not clear to me on if you can only upload songs they don't have, though. i.e. if you have a ripped version that they offer in iTunes Match, if you chose not to subscribe, can you upload it?

Personally, I'll make the decision when the service is available and its hows me how much of my library will be available via iTunes Match. Then I'll decide.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Heres the text from the website:

"Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality"

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think that refers to any songs that Apple does not have a copy of on its store. So for example if there's an indie artist you have a few CDs for that don't exist on the iTunes store, Apple will upload those for you to stream.

But as far as I know that still falls under the $25 plan. I think the three options that Steve gave for non-iTunes store tracks were 1) sync them via cable or Wifi with iTunes; 2) re-buy the songs; or 3) iTunes match.

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

When it comes to Germany I will probably get the subscription. The problem is that I don't see it coming till the end of 2012..

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, but your post makes no sense. You have to pay 25$ anyway to be able to upload your own songs.

12. amethystjw thread starter macrumors member

amethystjw

Doh! When I thought of creating this poll initially, I planned to include an option saying "Only if I haven't forgotten all about the service by the time it's available in my country." Oops.

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

:p Oh yeh. I thought it was an odd thing for Apple to do. lol. Well I wont be buying it and I have a lot of stuff not found on iTunes.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

nope. I call it a rip off when I have free services like Google music and Amazon Cloud that do the same thing.

15. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Where is the "No I have an iPod Classic" option?

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope. I'm not angry at Apple not having my tapes on iTunes :rolleyes: but they don't have my music. I also don't need the music sync service of iCloud - I just want the rest of it.

17. amethystjw, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

amethystjw thread starter macrumors member

amethystjw

Actually, those are streaming services. iTunes Match is a sync service. They're fundamentally different.

Yeah, I thought about adding that but figured non-iOS device users would not be interested in the service. Technically though, it would still be useful for you because you can use it to easily sync your music between your various computers.

18. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Where's the option for "no, I don't want to spend the money?" ;)

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I probably won't, but I'm going to wait and see some reviews before I decide.

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Unless your library is less than 5GB, you can scratch Amazon off as being a free alternative to iTunes Match. If your library is 5,000 songs (15GB @ 3MB/song), Amazon will be 2x more expensive than iTunes Match. At 20,000 songs (60GB @ 3mb/song), Amazon will be 4x more expensive. And Google hasn't committed to a price-point once the service is free.

21. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Haha, I love the last option in the poll! :D

I personally think the whole idea is to pay 25$/yr just to have a digital system organize your stuff. I can do that on my own as long as I keep myself organized so that I don't have to sync 2000 songs all of a sudden. The only use I would get out of it is to upgrade the sound quality on all my music, use the service for a year while I'm at it and quit when the subscription ends.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

"Too Pricey?"

Are you kidding? $25 for the whole year is nothing. I'm definitely interested but just need a proper review to see how the service works. After that, yeah I'm on board.

BTW your poll options aren't very good.

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I'll wait to see how it is. I may just buy everything on iTunes. I can't think of more than one-hundred songs that I haven't got from iTunes and I think it would just be better to go through and buy all them.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We don't even know when or if it's going to be available here.

If it does make it here sometime next year at least we'll be able to see how it pans out in the US first. I won't be surprised if we get a fair few "iTunes Match has deleted all of my music" type posts when it first comes on-line. :)

25. Rodimus Prime, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You really should look at Google. Google chances are will be free for a VERY VERY long time and will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than Apple.

Also would like to point out most people library is under 5 gigs.
    That and Apples is not going to be really cross platform. It has to run on iTunes or iOS device.