Will you upgrade to 2.1, or restore and start fresh?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 11, 2008.

?

Will you upgrade to 2.1, or restore and start fresh?

1. I'll plaster it on top of 2.0.x

104 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. I'll do the wipey wipe.

36 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I can't help but think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to wipe the phone and start anew when installing 2.1.

What about you?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Considering it's supposed to fix the major issues such as backup time, applications crashing, installation, etc.

I'm gonna erase all contents and settings too.

3. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Probably just a upgrade... less hassle. I upgraded all the time since i got my iPhone 3G and its been fine.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole point of the iPhone is that an upgrade IS a wipe and install. When you run the updater, that's what it's doing.

That's why applications have such strict rules and must save their data in their own little folders. It's because everything outside of there gets nuked whenever an "upgrade" is performed. And I put "upgrade" in quotes because it's really a wipe-and-install.

At least, that's what I read last year. Does anyone know if this is correct?

If this is true, the thread question is really: "Are you going to waste time, or not?"

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I just upgraded my iPod - took five minutes and worked great! - but I plan to DFU restore my iPhone. For one thing, it's jailbroken. Even if it weren't, I think 2.1 is a significant enough upgrade that it should be a 'clean' install. I'll be deleting all my old backups as well, and setting up as a new phone. ;)

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I don't know, but I've been running iTunes with backups disabled (via Terminal) and when I upgraded my iPod touch, it took about five minutes and everything was there when I finished - apps, media, etc ...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I doubt there's any way for us to know, just by watching it work. Someone with direct knowledge would have to tell us.

All I know is, an upgrade did a clean wipe on the original iPhone. Meaning, there was no reason to wipe it first since it's just going to do it again once you upgrade.

Whether this is still true for version 2, I have no idea.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I think it's pretty much in that updates wipe out the system partition.

Resting wipes out both system and media.

9. michael31986 macrumors 68040

i doubt u need to do a full restore for it to work properly, because than why wouldn't the phone just do that on its own.

10. michael31986 macrumors 68040

also restoring would delete all my cell hpone number and etc.

11. FJR macrumors regular

I don't really see how deleting my media off will really effect anything. Its just going to be put right back on in the same format.

And all remnants of the old firmware are wiped every time you update. You get a completely fresh and new firmware, so deleting the firmware has no effect whatsoever.

So I'll just upgrade. If I have problems I might do a full clean restore, but I've never had such problems sooo... *Knocks on wood*

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'll just install it on my iPhone, I don't see a need to try and do a restore.

13. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I agree. :)

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'll just update. My phone has been working fine with 2.0.2.

15. trunksu macrumors 6502

with an upgrade you don't lose any data or apps

but a fresh restore you do lose your data and apps (unless you revert back to your backups).

i'm going to just start it fresh. contacts/e-mails/photos have been synced so it'll all dump back into the phone in no time. and from the sound of things, apps will install fast this time around too :)

the only major loss imo are the app's saved data. but i don't have too many games that i care about their saved state anyway, so gonna start fresh.

16. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Whenever I do a major update, I start fresh. I have MobileMe, so all my date will just sync back up.

17. Pamani macrumors regular

Pamani

18. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

+1

I haven't had any problem with any version of the iPhone 3G firmware so far.

19. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I haven't had any major problems with any of the firmware upgrades either and I haven't started fresh. I do get more app crashes in 2.0.2 than I did in the previous firmware, but I think a lot of people had that problem so I doubt it can be isolated to me upgrading instead of starting fresh.

20. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

It's a pretty significant upgrade in my opinion, so I'll be sure to completely wipe it and start fresh. :)

21. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

Its a firmware "update", so i will go with update. Only if there is an issue i will restore, resurect et all (touches wood that it doesnt happen).

This is what i do:
    • Charge fully, so that it doesnt conk off in between lol
    • Do a back up and sync one last time, so that data is not lost
    • Switch off other software running on the computer, you never know what will come in between
    • Switch to airplane mode, who knows a rougue sms or call come in between to screw happiness
    • Plug in and hit update, and wait patiently for the software and hardware to do its job :)

22. luigi408 macrumors 6502

Fresh oh yeah! Putting back the settings is easier and the sync is a lot faster then waiting for the backup to load to the iphone. That takes forever.

23. /b/ macrumors member

I'm new in this all and the iPhone 3G is my first Apple product.
    I would like to know how do you differentiate between a clean wipe and just an update.
    Let's say, I connect my iPhone to iTunes and let it update does that mean just update ? I assume so.
    How do you do a totally clean update then ?

24. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Hit "Restore" from iTunes once it is connected. It will erase everything on your iPhone and starts over. (It will be like the first time you plug in your iPhone)

25. trunksu macrumors 6502

that was the other thing i wanted to avoid. the "last long" backup :p fresh restore ftw.