Will you upgrade to 3G ? or Not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelsviews, Jun 11, 2008.

?

Will you upgraded to 3G ?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2008.
  1. Yes 8 gig

12.0%
  2. Yes 16

43.0%
  3. Happy with 1st Gen

34.5%
  4. No wait it out for 32 gig

10.6%
  1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Course i will :)

Its new and shiny... be stupid not to :)

3. Stardotboy macrumors regular

For me - no.

Despite some tempting 'upgrade' deals from O2, resetting my 18-month contract and splashing out more cash on a handset that doesn't do anything that much more exciting than the one I have now doesn't seem worth it.

Would be tempted if they release a higher capacity one, but not until then.

4. jogo23 macrumors newbie

No way...

I most certainly won't upgrade my "now old-fashioned" 1st gen iPhone.
    The added features are nice to have but as I'm mostly browsing the net over wi-fi 3G isn't really cutting it for me. GPS is nice to have but I already got one in my car.
    Third (I guess not everyone will agree), I really don't like the new design. The plastic back-cover makes it look kinda cheap. It looks less (if you can say that) sophisticated than its predecessor. The white one almost looks like a Palm Centro...

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am upgrading from my 8GB iPod touch to a 8GB iPhone 3G on Pay & Go.

6. georgeoommen macrumors regular

1 month to go.. can't wait

I've officially kicked off a 1 month countdown timer on my MBP.. can't wait for july 11th.. Might have to take the day off unless its another 6pm launch..

7. hawkeye1066 macrumors newbie

3G service isn't offered where I live, so why pay the extra for it. I'm much more excited about upgrading my 1st Gen iPhone to the 2.0 software. That's where the real advancements are. I was never a fan of "web based" applications. I want my games on my phone, internet or not.

8. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

No. Don't want to pay more monthly because I have a perfectly working original iPhone.

9. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

i thought i read that you won't be able to have a pay&go plan now. along with making people activate the phone in-store at time of purchase, you will have to choose a monthly plan - no pay&go.

??

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

You can in the UK! :)

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yes I will. Right now I'm going with the Black 8GB, but I'm thinking about that storage space on the 16GB.

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I was GOING to upgrade to the 2nd Gen, until I saw this from iLounge:

"Now that the iPhone 3G has been officially unveiled, we’ve been seeing more pictures and hearing further details about the rear casing from developers who have spent hours with it, and the verdict is this: get ready to invest in protective film and/or a case. Unlike the original iPhone, which has proved much more resilient to the sorts of scratches and scuffs that plague iPods, the iPhone 3G’s shell is indeed just glossy plastic with a thin layer of clear coating. It’s not ceramic, as some might have guessed, and not covered in a magic material that won’t scuff: as a result, you can expect to see marks similar to the ones on first-generation iPod nanos and fifth-generation iPods, all over again. The black version, as shown here, picks up fingerprints and smudges at an impressive rate; we wish we’d been able to take some pictures without the smudges. Ironically, the white plastic color that Apple discontinued for iPods may wind up being the most attractive color for new iPhones, especially after spending a few days in a pocket or purse."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, for me, since I don't live in an area with 3G (a vast majority of the entire U.S.) the only reason to upgrade would be the GPS. To me, saving $240 over the next two years and having a phone as resiliant and scratch-resistant is much better than GPS.

Just my $0.02.

13. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with my current iPhone, but I may upgrade if Apple offers a 32GB version at some point.

14. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Where is the simple "No" option?
    Having said that, I am happy with my 2G.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Look at fivepoint's pics from iLounge, anyone got any idea what the grill on the back of the iPhone is?

16. paulold macrumors 6502

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I will get the iPhone 3G - so I guess it helps that we have to wait until July 11th to decide. : ) And I agree about the in-store activations - buying an iPhone on July 11th is going to be insane. That alone is a deterrant for me. So, I guess that means that I won't be buying an iPhone 3G on the first day.

I felt a bit let-down by the keynote presentation. Of course I was excited about the iPhone 3G being announced, but I guess I was expecting more. Most of the presentation was spent repeating what they showed us about the SDK in March. Sure the software developers had more time to make their programs shine and the demos were cool to see, but most of those demos were as expected. We already knew some really cool programs and games on on their way for the iPhone. And all signs were pointing to a June release, but aargh - not till July.

Why hold off on releasing the 2.0 update? That was probably the biggest disappointment. At this moment, I think I am going to wait to upgrade my current iPhone to version 2.0, download some games and programs and see how I feel about my iPhone then. I just might stick with my current phone. Much of the cool new features will be coming from the software upgrade, which is free. Adding 3G speed and GPS is nice, but it comes with what turns out to be a still hefty pricetag (due to the extra fees). I'm still fairly disappointed with the strength of AT&T's signal (and I live in the DC area where you'd think it would be excellent). 3G might be faster, but the extra speed won't help much if the signal is weak. More bars in more places? Not in DC...

Probably the only thing I've ever been truly disappointed about with Apple was their decision to go with AT&T. I love Apple, but they got it wrong with their choice of cell provider.

17. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

will stick with my original...see no point in 3G I don't even use the net on my iphone come to think of it only time I use my iphone is when i'm playing bingo and it's on WiFi.:D

18. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Still toying between 8GB or 16GB. Depends on what I sell my current iPhone for...

19. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I will stick with the 1st generation model. I am excited about the 2.0 firmware upgrade. I just hope it fixes a few bugs plaguing my iPhone right now. I'm not sure I want to have them swap it out for a 3G iPhone if I keep having these problems...

20. Asar macrumors regular

or wheres the camera holes?

i love the new look though. i cant wait to get one.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I want to be the first kid on my block to own the newest and the brightest! And come July 11th, 2008, I will. :p

22. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

Keeping the "Old School" 8gb iPhone. I don't see much reason to upgrade, google maps is close to GPS as I need & slower edge connection builds character...:rolleyes:

Anyway, everyone and their mother is going to have a black iPhone 3g (remember the Razor Craze?? Think of that only 10 times worse), which I think is cool because this will make even more people love Apple and I'm always for that. Plus, I really do like the look of the first iPhone a lot better it doesn't look as cheap IMO. I will wait until Apple releases the "real" iPhone2 this one I think is just really to get the iPhone to the masses.

One love One :apple:

23. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

Sorry double posted and i don't know how to delete it so I just edited it

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Oh yeah! Maybe there is a better camera in it when it is released! Thats why its not in this pre-release demo model!

(Everyone please agree so people will stop moaning about bad camera quality) ;)

25. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

I love my iPhone camera I use it all the time and everyone I show it to thinks it's really cool how you can zoom in/out on the pictures.