Will you upgrade to Lion or do a clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by unobtainium, Jul 11, 2011.

?

Upgrade or clean install?

1. I want that clean fresh feeling

159 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. I'm just gonna upgrade over SL

162 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. I won't be installing Lion at all

13 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Will you be doing a clean install of Lion, or simply upgrading over Snow Leopard? Feel free to elaborate on why you made your choice.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Upgrade. I don't see the need for clean install. Unless there's problems, it seems like a waste of time.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This. To be honest, I don't really have enough time to do a clean install and then transfer all my files back over.

4. ttttaylor macrumors regular

lucky for me, i just got my latest mac a few months ago, so it still feels new and clean enough. i'll just upgrade.

5. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

6. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I just erased my HD and reinstalled SL on my MBP in atancipation for Lion. So far, my MBP turns on noticeable faster and all is stock. This is my first time reinstalling since SL came out and definitely worth it.

7. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Clean install. I've needed to reformat/reinstall SL for a while (for organization issues, not speed), so I'm waiting for Lion to continue.

8. TomRadfahrer macrumors newbie

Clean install is a myth. The install is clean just for a very short moment until you begin to restore your data including your library.

I am pretty sure that an upgrade to Lion will remove almost all mess you can imagine in your system folder. The problem is the user's library folder.

And if you begin to re-install SW like Elgatos eyteTV or other SW, which comes with System extensions, unclean, unclean, unclean ....

If you compare total disc space after an upgrade and after a "clean install" you will see some difference, of course. Typical examples are fonts, which came with non-Apple SW and are lost after a "clean install". But the few kBytes you can save cannot justify the pain when you open a document 5 month later and you learn that some fonts are lost due to a "clean install".

Stay dirty !! Its much more fun. :D

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I on the other hand always make a clean install and transfer the stuff I want to keep manually.

Now I could try to justify it by pointing out a bunch of .0-bugs people encounter that are related to an upgraded system (mostly because of third-party hacks though), or that the system might have been tested more on fresh installs.

In reality, it is more of a fresh start, a way for me to organize my files and setup a bit. With OS X continuing to "just work", day out, day in, stuff gets left behind and forgotten.

10. METOO999 macrumors regular

I will do a clean install because I haven't "cleaned house" on my HDD in about a year or so. I also like that fresh feeling of putting in new settings and customizing apps again. ;)

11. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

This is why I do it too. I do see a minimal performance boost when I do a clean install, but the boost alone is not worthy enough of a clean install. I do it for the reorganization purposes. Makes me feel...cleaner!

12. unobtainium thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting results. I'm personally straddling the fence (which is partly why I created the poll). I like the idea of setting things up new and fresh, but at the same time it seems like a huge hassle to migrate all my data back over again. I will likely just upgrade this time since my MBP is only a few months old anyway.

13. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with this attitude.

But I always prefer to go clean from scratch before throwing all my apps on top of it - one by one. Makes it easier to narrow down exactly what to blame should a problem arise.

It's just too easy to upgrade on top of SL and blame Apple for Lion problems when it might very well be some other 3rd party crap responsible and indeed it often is.

That's my experience anyway. And besides, I'll make the time for it.

14. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Clean install for me. I don't have a lot on my mbp anyways. Most of my important docs and media are all in my external HD

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've been mulling over the clean install.
    Can anyone tell me, how does it work? Do you backup, install Lion fresh and then manually drag in your User folder and install and SW? Seems like a hastle, but maybe I'm not thinking right.

16. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

No difference

The whole system gets changed. All system files are updated - i.e. are overwritten by the installer. So in reality there's no difference in a clean-install or an upgrade.

But a clean install just gives a psychological effect to freaks like me. I bet most of the UNIX experts will go for a clean install. Freaks as I said.

But an advice for all those who don't bother what's installed on the system - make sure its an upgrade otherwise its just a waste of time.

17. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Ill be upgrading my iMac which is virtually new and clean installing on my MBP (as that could do with a format anywho:))

18. richter17 macrumors newbie

I'll be doing a clean install since I just bought a larger HDD for my MBP. Time for some much needed cleaning of all my old files.

19. Asclepio macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

Clean install when the 10.7.4 will be released. I tried the GM... too many bugs,
    i stay with SL.

20. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Clean install. Always. I'd rather not half-ass things or take the lazy way out when it comes to OS installs.

21. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Already did a clean install to the GM. If anything is different or they seed another GM to devs, then I'll just upgrade from there (if possible....)

22. Jenni8 macrumors member

Upgrade is still an upgrade

These questions are a little blurred.

Upgrade or clean install?
    I want that clean fresh feeling
    I'm just gonna upgrade over SL
    I won't be installing Lion at all

Whether or not you clean up the system first, isn't it just going to be an upgrade over SL either way? You'll just be putting all the files you stored back on it anyway. It's not like you can just pop in a disk and do a full fresh install from the "full" version as apposed to an upgrade. I remember very well how that benefits Window's upgrades. I only had problems with Windows upgrades and always did full clean installs. But in Mac Land, I just don't see how all the trouble would even be of much benefit if any at all.

Other than needing to add much needed RAM to my iMac, my Mac works beautifully. Most of the "issues" I was having I learned a way around it or was "tinkering" too much. (I couldn't help it, this is my first Mac!) I've learned to not 'mess' with the settings too often and not get over zealous in keeping my system "clean." Oh how I don't miss the horrible DEFRAG. Although I do love to personalize the icons, dock and such.

When I upgrade, probably next month, I'll just back it up like I always do anyway. Besides I have one of the new iMacs, it was built for Lion.

23. Junkie2 macrumors member

24. m4r10 macrumors newbie

I never do a clean install of my iphone every time a new update appears so upgrade it is. Besides it's just to much trouble reinstalling everything again, register apps, etc. (App store apps are easy I'm taking about other outside the App store). You know how much bandwidth it will take to re-download everything, what will Comcast think! But joking aside, if it does not work you always have the option to clean install.

25. MrRoyksopp macrumors regular

I'm basically doing a clean install, since I like the "new" feeling.
    Get rid of all the trash, and get a fresh computer. :)