Will you upgrade your apple watch like you do your iPhones?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ET iPhone Home, Apr 14, 2015.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I never really thought about this, but was wondering if you would upgrade yearly or every two years if something new is released? Many people upgrade their iPhones annually to get the latest or on a S (4s, 5s, 6s etc.) or non-S cycle - every 2 years. Will you actually spend the money to upgrade your Apple watch if something new is released or if the watch gets redesigned? Seems like a waste, no?

2. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

No. I will update it like I update my iPad. Still on version 2 because they have not added anything since that I need. I still use it every day.

3. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Depends how well this one holds up and the features of an update.

Also if my bands would fit the new one or not.

4. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Y

Just depends on what's offered. I assume the resale market will be as strong, also... If not, I may hold on a generation or two.

5. Elzbeth macrumors regular

Probably #, which is usually every two years. I've just gone a sports aluminium model.

6. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

If the new features justify the cost of upgrading then yes I would upgrade. I bought the sports this time to ease the next upgrade as the first few revision will likely be significant as the product established itself. I would hope to settle on a longer iPad-esque upgrade cycle though.

The related question will of course be how long older watches are supported by Apple.

7. InAustralia, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I'll upgrade the Apple Watch each release (assuming a yearly release cycle).

I currently update my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) every 12 months and update my Macs every 36 months.

I have an well established hand me down process to my wife, father in law, mother in law etc and any change from the usual cycle will mean a lot of unhappy people! :)

8. DynaFXD, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Not really planning on upgrading. Unlike the phones (newer and useful cellular technology, camera, NFC, and so on), I just don't see the watch bringing more to the table on a two year cycle. Now I may buy another one if there is a big style change; a round face, for example or a ruggedized exterior. But that would not be aa replacement, just another one for the choice of what to wear. Also unlike cell phones, it is not unusual to have multiple watches, sunglasses, or shoes to choose from depending on the day's destination and activities. 5 years from now, why wouldn't you want to sport your first launch AW v. 1 on your wrist if the occasion were right? :cool:

9. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'd love to believe that this watch - given the expense - will last a lot more than two years.

I'll upgrade if the new watch offers something compelling. Knowing Apple, no doubt it will.

I'm hoping it won't.

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

11. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

No not as often as my iPhone. Probably more in line with my iPad.

12. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I'll upgrade similar to the way I upgrade with the iPhone. I have upgraded every model except 4s and 5s, I didn't see a need at the time.

13. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

14. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I'm only updating one thing every year be it an iPhone or apple watch. I have the first iPad mini and hardly use it anymore and have no plans to ever update the iPad. I have an macbook air late 2013 and use it for school only and will update it to possibly the new macbook they just released in a couple years if I continue on with my MBA but by 2014 iMac (non retina maxed out) does everything i need and more from a computer. I have no intentions of upgrading my iMac until there is a huge visual change like no bezels or something like that.

so anyways my annual updates are the iPhone and I like having the newest every years, but if i have to choose between the iPhone and apple watch I will only be updating one each year depending on which has the bigger update. I think of it this way, the apple watch supports the iPhone so if the phone gets new features that don't add to the features of the watch then I don't see the point in upgrading both.

my guess is apple watch every 2-3 years and iPhone sticking to every year.

15. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I normally update my iPhone every two years. I've had the 4, 5 and now 6. I update my iPad every three years. My iMacs have been lasting about 4 to 5 years. I also hand these things down. My 2007 iMac is still being used by my Mom (and she also has my iPhone 4) and my iPad 1 is getting some use by my Sister and her household. My GF has my iPad 3.

We shall see about the watch. I suspect that the tech will improve enough that if I'm using the watch every day it will be worth it to me to upgrade at least in two years.

Incidentally, now that I'm no longer on contract, I may switch to upgrading the iPhone every year. Yes that is a very expensive thing to do, but since the phone is super important and I use it all day, it is still a justifiable use of my money. The watch may be the same thing as just too useful not to upgrade.

16. Jungo macrumors regular

sure - if the update is substantial and exciting. - I've bought every phone

17. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Same. I upgrade my iPhone and iPad every year. My Macbook Pro every 3-4. Gotta keep it fresh!

18. blatch macrumors member

blatch

Depends on whether they release in a tick-tock style or not. If so, I'll probably get the new releases with the new shapes and features. But maybe not till mine feels suitably outdated or they add something that I desire so deeply.

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

iPad 1 - iPad Air (5) .... skipped 4 versions

iPhone 1 - iPhone 4 - iPhone 6 ... skipped 4 versions

So, no, I probably won't buy the next Watch - has to have enough features to overweigh the cost.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I really want to say that I'll keep this watch and skip over a generation or two before I upgrade it. But I have a feeling that just as with everything else I'll only be able to convince myself I don't need to get a new one until about the week before release lol.

21. technosix macrumors 6502a

If I find this first watch useful, then I'll sell it and buy the second gen.

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I assume they're going to setup a tick-tock schedule with the watch like they have with iPhones. "S" releases to add new sensors and processor bumps, full releases to add new case options, redesigns, etc.

I will likely upgrade by way of selling what I have to finance the next round.

23. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I upgrade my iPhone every year, but I think with the Apple Watch I'll probably wait 2-3 years between upgrades. It would take some really impressive upgrades for me to want to jump on a new watch that quickly.

24. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Undecided.

With Apple Watch, my interaction with the phone may become less and what could actually happen is for the first time ever I may skip iPhone upgrades.