Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you use sleep tracking on watchOS 7?

• Yes

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So now it’s official in watchOS7 is this something you will use on a daily basics? Or just at the start?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I would but Apple aren't supporting my Series 1 :(

I use a sleep tracker app on it already and can't understand why it took so long for sleep tracking to come to the Apple Watch.

Reactions: gymratjudy

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Given the current state of Apple's "Sleep Tracking", no, I'll continue to use Sleepwatch. However, if Apple figures out how to actually TRACK SLEEP, rather than time in bed, if they figure out how to track the various stages of sleep like Fitbit, Garmin, and Samsung (among others) have done, then maybe I'll look at it again, but as it stands, it's right up there with "Hand washing timer"..

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
After reading about orthosomnia, I think I will stop. I pretty much figured out that if I stop having alcohol before like 2pm and get in bed by 9pm, I’m usually good. A good sleep routine and abstaining from too much drinking is what I got out of tracking my sleep for six months and reading Walker’s Why We Sleep book. Sleep is definitely important, but it’s become a big money maker for tech. I like that Apple isn’t scoring your sleep though and pushing for tech detox in the evening. Ultimately, it’s just self control. Plus I have little kids - so sleep is always subject to their nights.

Reactions: dsdevries

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I certainly will use it! I've been using a third party app for sleep tracking since I first got my watch. I'm incredibly excited Apple is baking it into watchOS now.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Using sleep tracking for the past 3 years on my Apple Watch and I’ll welcome Wind Down feature into my sleep habit once the OS 7 launched. ?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
No, not unless it will refer me to a dr for possible sleep disorders such as sleep apnea. Similar to how ECG just tells you to go see a doctor rather than trying to diagnose you.

Couldn’t care less how many times I wake up at night.

I will probably utilize the bedtime features that my iPhone will have such as wind down, but I’ll continue charging my watch at night with sleep tracking in its current form.

Deep.sky

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Already use Sleepwatch, but will try Apple's sleep tracking when it comes out.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
So now it’s official in watchOS7 is this something you will use on a daily basics? Or just at the start?

OP you should add the option, “yes, but with an additional 3rd party app.”

As it stands, initial reviews of Apple sleep tracking say it is fairly basic, so I will probably utilize it in tandem with SleepWatch.

rainbowtapes

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Unlikely - mainly because by the time I get to bed I've usually not noticed that my watch needs charging. Sleep tracking is only really useful if its done every day in order to pick up on patterns/trends. As soon as you start missing a few days a week it can't possibly be that insightful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.