Will you use the iPhone SDK to develop applications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megfilmworks, Mar 7, 2008.

?

Will you be using the iPhone SDK to develop for the iPhone?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Not a developer, but I will buy iPhone apps.

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Maybe

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Will you be using the new iPhone SDK to develop an app for the iPhone?

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I'm not sure. There are plenty of free applications available right now through installer app.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not a developer, however, I'm looking for a few good apps.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I was going to buy a Mac to develop on, but once Sun ports Java, then I can use that to write apps instead. (No need to learn Objective C either)

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Yes.. But as I'm taking niche applications to start with, I don't see there being heavy demand for them if I put them up on the store.

Some more mainstream ideas...

One "out of the box" app that should be ridiculously easy to create is a Contacts app like that included on the simulator. I find it irksome to have to go into the phone app to get to Contacts just to add them (or call or mail them). Should have been a separate app (and my be a feature of the 2.0 update of course). Given the whole contacts management system is a pre-existing component, it should be trivial to create a container app into which it can be dropped.

Another "fun" app would be a "tape recorder". Looks like most of necessary stuff is there. What would be real nice would be the ability to record into the iPod file store and synch back to iTunes. Record memos or those "interesting" phone calls.

And the final - the Portable Hole. Wireless file transfer to and from other devices. Nothing fancy (though I would love to be able to save attachments off e-mails or attach stored files as well). Just a little something to replace the memory stick I use currently to move files from home to work and back again thanks to the the very restrictive company e-mail policy making it impossible (yes - I know they don't want the plebs transferring files all over the place, but as a developer that is actually a requirement of my job but the only way to get software to the customer in a timely fashion is to use my personal e-mail because the company account stinks and I have better things to do than call up 20 timed a day the jobs-worths who "support" the system to get them to let a new test release through the filters because they refuse to provide an unblocked account).

Of course somebody will probably beat me to getting these sorts of things done ;)

I want a port of the app on the MacBook/MacBook Pro that used the sudden motion sensor to make light saber noises too. With its accelerometers the iPhone will be a natural.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The sad thing about the Development Kit...

is that there is a disclaimer that you agree to, and it specifically states that you will not disclose what you are downloading or working on with regards to specific software. I'm not even sure if I should be having this conversation! :confused::eek:

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I suspect that is a boiler plate holdover from when the SDK was issued to select companies before the announcement. The SDK install says it is installing OSX 10.5 (oppsie), so Apple has clearly not been paying too much attention to the finer points of the installer. I've found a few other issues that make it clear that this is most definitely a beta, so while I hope to get into all the details on how to write apps, I may hold off serious development until the full version of the SDK is made available. :D

Right now I'm not talking about what I am developing - just tossing a few theoretical ideas around. :rolleyes:

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.